Pro Tour 25th Anniversary
|Date||3–5 August 2018|
|Location||Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States|
|Format||Team Trios Constructed: Standard, Modern, and Legacy|
| Previous Pro Tour:
Pro Tour Dominaria
| Next Pro Tour: |
Pro Tour Atlanta
Pro Tour 25th Anniversary is the fourth and final Pro Tour of the 2017–18 season. It will take place on 3–5 August 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. As its name suggests, it is a special event celebrating the 25th anniversary of Magic, and for the first time since Pro Tour Charleston 2006, features Team Trios Constructed. Also for the first time since Pro Tour Berlin 2008, the event doesn't feature a Booster draft portion at all; instead, all rounds are Team Constructed, with one team member playing Standard, another playing Modern, and the third playing Legacy. As a corollary, the Worlds slots for Draft Master and Constructed Master are locked after Pro Tour Dominaria.
The exact price purse of the event is $850,000, with $150,000 will be awarded to the winning team ($50,000 for each player in winning team).In addition, Pro Tour 25th Anniversary will coincide with a special exhibition event with a $150,000 price purse, and that in total, the price purse of these two events will be $1,000,000.
Qualification[edit | edit source]
Due to the unusual format of the event, the methods of qualification are also quite different. Players may qualify as individual, which can form teams with other qualified players, or as a team, which (in most cases) required to be made up of exact members they have qualified through.
Notably, this Pro Tour excludes the possibility of qualifying via Magic Online.
To qualify as a Team:
- Be a part of one of the top 16 teams in the Magic Pro Tour Team Series after Pro Tour Dominaria.
- Originally tiebreakers of team members were taken into account in this qualification, however it was dropped in revision in 6 June 2018 after WotC decided tiebreaker based on individual's result is not suitable in qualifying teams for this event: Any teams that got same team points with the 16th place team are also awarded the team qualification regardless of tiebreaker (Two additional teams were qualified after this revision, which they have same team points with 16th place after Pro Tour Dominaria).
- This method of qualification can form team(s) freely within their 6 members, however, the team must not be disbanded after Pro Tour Dominaria.
- Finish in either the top 4, or 12-2 or better in Swiss, in a Team Grand Prix from 6 January until 20 May, 2018.
- Winning in Pro Tour Qualifier of a Team Grand Prixes' side event from 6 January until 20 May, 2018.
- Finish in the top 2 of a Regional Pro Tour Qualifier for Pro Tour 25th Anniversary.
In case if a player holding multiple team qualifications that have different members, the player may choose which team he/she participate (With Team Series has highest priority, followed by GP, PTQ, RPTQ). In this case only, the other teams qualified with that player may choose a qualified player to fill the void.
To qualify as a Individual:
- Earn 33 or more match points at Pro Tour Dominaria.
- Be a Gold or Platinum member of the Pro Players Club.
- Be a Silver member of the Pro Players Club without having spent the Pro Tour invite earlier in the season.
- Be a member of the Hall of Fame who did not participate PTQ or RPTQ for Pro Tour 25th Anniversary.
- For this event only, Hall of Famers are allowed to participate PTQ or RPTQ like normal players, however, they will lose the HoF Individual invitation for Pro Tour 25th Anniversary if they do so.
References[edit | edit source]
- Chase, Elaine (2017-07-19). 2018'S PRO TOURS AND 2017'S WORLDS. Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved on 2017-07-19.