A planar portal is a way to travel through the aether between planes, without needing a planeswalker's spark. Planar portals can be created by planeswalkers, but the Thran and the Phyrexians also had the technology. Known planar portals include:
- The portals from Dominaria
- The Dwarven Gate on Ulgrotha in the abandoned dwarven city under Castle Sengir. Where it leads is unknown.
- The portals of Rath
- The portals in the skies that captured its citizens from other planes.
- The portal within the throne room of the Stronghold which allowed Yawgmoth to enter Dominaria personally during the Phyrexian Invasion.
- The flying portals, or portal ships, used during that invasion.
- The Erratic Portal between Rath (originally on Phyrexia itself when used by Ramos) and Mercadia, guarded by the Soltari.
- The Soul traps created by Memnarch on Mirrodin.
- The Drownyard temple on Innistrad, used by Nahiri to bring Emrakul to the plane.
- The Riddle Gate on Esper, used by Tezzeret to visit the Metal Island.
- The Planar Bridge created by the inventor Rashmi on Kaladesh.
- The portal from the Meditation Plane to Ravnica, used in the resurrection of Niv-Mizzet.
When the Mending occured, all existing planar portals stopped working. New tech was possible, but so far the only example seen is the Planar Bridge, which has major limitations transporting organic matter.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
- Belbe's Portal
- Disrupt (Invasion)
- Distorting wake
- Dragon Roost (Onslaught)
- Erratic Portal
- Fold into Aether
- Gate to Phyrexia
- Lightning Dart
- Phyrexian Portal
- Planar Bridge
- Planar Portal
- Soltari Emissary
- Tainted Aether