|Last Used||Future Sight|
|Reminder Text||Poisonous N (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player gets N poison counters.)|
Poisonous is a keyword ability that allows the use of multiple poison counters. It was introduced in Future Sight, though the concept of poison counters is as old as Legends. Poisonous has only been printed on two cards so far, the timeshifted Snake Cult Initiation and Virulent Sliver.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that causes a player to get poison counters. See rule 702.69, “Poisonous.”
- 702.69. Poisonous
- 702.69a Poisonous is a triggered ability. “Poisonous N” means “Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player gets N poison counters.” (For information about poison counters, see rule 104.3d.)
- 702.69b If a creature has multiple instances of poisonous, each triggers separately.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- If all damage that a poisonous creature would deal to a player is prevented, the poisonous ability won't trigger (see rule 119.8).
- The player will get the stated number of poison counters each time the poisonous creature deals combat damage to him or her, regardless of how much damage that creature dealt.
- If a player has ten poison counters, that player loses the game.
- Although several older cards give players poison counters, none of those cards have abilities that trigger on combat damage.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Snake Cult Initiation
Enchantment — Aura
Enchanted creature has poisonous 3. (Whenever it deals combat damage to a player, that player gets three poison counters. A player with ten or more poison counters loses the game.)
Creature — Sliver
All Sliver creatures have poisonous 1. (Whenever a Sliver deals combat damage to a player, that player gets a poison counter. A player with ten or more poison counters loses the game.)