Planeswalker Points is a worldwide system designed to reward you for playing Magic: The Gathering in DCI sanctioned events (where an organizer schedules and reports the event to Wizards of the Coast). All sanctioned events, from casual sanctioned events to Worlds will carry points.
Unlike previous systems that rewarded only winning, Planeswalker Points is based on playing.  Players earn points for every sanctioned event they join, and they earn even more for each victory.  The larger the tournament, the more participation points players receive, no matter where they finish. Special events carry a point multiplier.
Categories[edit | edit source]
There are three major categories:
- Lifetime: The total point obtained all time.
- Competitive: The total point obtained during in a Pro Tour season span, excluding casual events, Pro Tour, Worlds and World Magic Cup events. Which used to determine the number of Byes in Grand Prix and eligibility of invitation to Nationals(and, former World Magic Cup Qualifiers).
- Until November 2014, there was also a Seasonal Award sub-category, which used almost exclusively on determining Grand Prix Byes only.
- Professional: The Pro Points obtained in a Pro Tour season span.
- At the start of 2018-19 season. A sub-category, calculated by top 12 Pro Point finishes in previous 4 cycles, will be introduced accompanied with the new Pro Players Club system.
Website[edit | edit source]
Players keep track of their Planeswalker points on the Wizards of the Coast website PlaneswalkerPoints.com. At certain point totals, players level up in the Planeswalker Points program and improve their rank. The ranks go all the way up from Prodigy (level 1-5) to Archmage (level 46-50).
The points needed to advance to the next level are as follows: 
|Task Mage||11-15||10 points|
Advancing to level 50 takes 7000 points and is currently the final level possible at 50,000 points total, however, there was no upper limit of PwP obtained. For example, all-time PwP leader Shuhei Nakamura has obtained more than 100,000 points in lifetime.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (August 05, 2013.) “Twenty Things That Were Going To Kill Magic”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (January 25, 2012.) “Your Scorecard”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike Turian. (September 06, 2011.) “Introducing Planeswalker Points: What Level Are You?”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- Planeswalker Points information page
- Dave Guskin. (August 02, 2012.) “Planeswalker Points Achievements and Badges Beta Launches!”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (April 10, 2013.) “Planeswalker Points Dragon's Maze Achievements and Updates”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.