Pioneer is a constructed format that allows expansion sets and core sets from Return to Ravnica forward, save for the Pioneer ban list. It is legal for tabletop Magic: The Gathering and Magic Online. Since MTG Arena has its own Historic format, it doesn't support Pioneer.
Description[edit | edit source]
The format was introduced on October 21, 2019, and will be officially codified on January 30, 2020, when it is featured on Grand Prix Brussels. StarCityGames soon after moved away from Legacy as an SCG Tour format, replacing it with Pioneer.
Deck construction[edit | edit source]
All the regular rules for constructed formats apply. Decks must contain a minimum of sixty cards. There is no maximum deck size; however, you must be able to shuffle your deck with no assistance. Like other constructed formats, a sideboard of at most fifteen cards can be used. With the exception of basic lands and cards like Relentless Rats, a player's combined deck and sideboard may not contain more than four of any individual card.
Set legality[edit | edit source]
- Return to Ravnica
- Dragon's Maze
- Magic 2014
- Born of the Gods
- Journey into Nyx
- Magic 2015
- Khans of Tarkir
- Fate Reforged
- Dragons of Tarkir
- Magic Origins
- Battle for Zendikar
- Oath of the Gatewatch
- Welcome Deck 2016
- Shadows over Innistrad
- Eldritch Moon
- Aether Revolt
- Welcome Deck 2017
- Hour of Devastation
- Rivals of Ixalan
- Core Set 2019
- Guilds of Ravnica
- Ravnica Allegiance
- War of the Spark
- Core Set 2020
- Throne of Eldraine
- Theros Beyond Death
Banned List[edit | edit source]
- See also: Timeline of DCI bans and restrictions.
The original stated Pioneer plan was to run it on MTGO initially and ban “aggressively and off-cycle”, which meant basically whenever R&D felt like they had the justification, any day, any time. Since organizations were quickly committing to tabletop events, it was announced that banned list announcements/changes would be made on every Mondays instead of at any time. The weekly announcement was dropped on January 6, 2020, which announcements would be made (on Monday) only if changes occured, syncing up with other constructed format.
As of December 16th, 2019 the following cards are banned in Pioneer tournaments:
References[edit | edit source]
- Blake Rasmussen (October 21, 2019). "Announcing the Pioneer Format". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ben Bleiweiss (November 8, 2019). "dditional Transparency Regarding the 2020 SCG Tour Update". Reddit.
- Aaron Forsythe (October 31, 2019). "Our original stated Pioneer plan was to run it on MTGO initially.". Twitter.
- Ian Duke (November 04, 2019). "November 4, 2019 Pioneer Banned Announcement". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ian Duke (December 02, 2019). "December 2, 2019 Pioneer Banned Announcement". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ian Duke (December 16, 2019). "December 16, 2019 Pioneer Banned Announcement". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ian Duke (November 11, 2019). "November 11, 2019 Pioneer Banned Announcement". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- Michael Majors (October 24, 2019). "Blazing a Trail into Pioneer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.