Pillowfort is a strategy for certain multiplayer formats, particularly the Commander format. The strategy is political in nature, attempting to make being attacked by an opponent undesirable or futile, thus making the rest of the opponents attack each other. This is achieved through cards that prevent damage or punishing players for attacking, so called Pillows. This also allows players enough time to assemble a combo or series of plays which let them win the game.
Popular "Pillow" cards
- No Mercy and Dread kill creatures that have successfully dealt damage to the Pillowfort player.
- Isperia, Supreme Judge is a popular Commander for Pillowfort decks since she draws additional cards when its controller is being attacked.
- Ghostly Prison, Windborn Muse, Propaganda, Archangel of Tithes etc. make large attacks difficult or force opponents into mana shortages.
- Teferi's Moat protects from an entire color of creatures.
- Forcefield, Solitary Confinement and Force Bubble absorb and reduce large amounts of damage.
- Spike Weaver prevents combat damage repeatedly, and is particularly effective when combined with reanimation or a method of putting +1/+1 counters on it.
- mdilthey (November 23, 2011). "Pillow Fort EDH!". MTG Salvation.
- CommanderCast. (November 16, 2011.) "CommanderCast #48 - Season 4 Episode 09 - Crossover Week II: The Recrossening", MTGCast.com.