God of Deception
Phenax is the god of cheats and liars. He governs gambling, deception, betrayal, isolation, planning, and secrets. He is worshipped by criminals and others who wish to subvert the rules. Phenax is also associated with the Returned, Theros' undead, who follow his path back from the Underworld.
In the Theros block saga, the nightmare planeswalker Ashiok strikes a deal with Phenax. In exchange for laying waste to the polis of Iretis to make a new polis for the Returned, Phenax made the planeswalker invisible to the other gods allowing Ashiok to operate under their gaze without detection. Phenax was amused by Ashiok's plans.
It is strongly implied that Phenax was the deity represented in "The Consequences of Attraction", cursing Xandria to become a siren for falling in love with Ninis, whom he had set eyes upon himself.
|Title||Author||Publishing date||Set||Setting (plane)||Featuring|
|Building Toward a Dream, Part 2||Ken Troop||2013-12-04||Theros||Theros||Ashiok, Phenax|
|Dreams of the City||Ken Troop||2014-04-23||Journey into Nyx||Theros||Ephara, Ashiok, Phenax|
Quoted or referred to:
The character of Phenax is inspired by Hermes, Greek god of thieves, travelers, and border crossings, guide to the Underworld; and Dolos, son of Erebus, spirit of trickery and guile. The name is likely from the Ancient Greek word φέναξ (phénax), meaning cheat, quack or impostor.
- Flavor text for Minion's Return
- Wizards RPG Team (2020), D&D Mythic Odysseys of Theros, Wizards of the Coast
- Ken Troop (April 23, 2014). "Dreams of the City". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ken Troop (October 9, 2013). "The Consequences of Attraction". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- The Magic Creative Team (January 29, 2014). "The Gods of Born of the Gods". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike McArtor (March 24, 2014). "Born's Gods". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.