|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
40% 20% 40%as of Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Description[edit | edit source]
Pangolins (also known as "scaly anteaters") are normally found in tropical regions. They have a small head with an elongated snout, a long sticky tongue for catching ants and termites, and a tapering tail. As a defense tactic, they can roll up into a ball. The name "pangolin" derives from the Malay word pengguling ("something that rolls up"). A pangolin's scales are resistant to all sorts of damage and weaponry. Desire for them threatens to drive the pangolin to extinction.
Card history[edit | edit source]
The card Prowling Pangolin in Onslaught originally was just a Beast. The creature type Anteater was added in the Grand Creature Type Update. Because pangolins resemble true anteaters but are not actually related to them, the creature type was removed again in the Fate Reforged rules update and the card was reprinted without the subtype in Eternal Masters.
Ridgescale Tusker from Aether Revolt and the Bumbling Pangolin from Unstable were also just Beasts. The proper creature type was finally introduced for Reckless Pangolin from Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling. The older cards were updated accordingly, except for Ridgescale Tusker. The latter was amended in 2020.. Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths introduced another in Gloom Pangolin.
References[edit | edit source]
- Flavor text for Hardened Scales
- Matt Tabak (January 15, 2015). "Fate Reforged Update Bulletin — Oracle Text". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Eli Shiffrin (July 6, 2018). "Core Set 2019 Oracle Changes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 06, 2018). "Ridgescale Tusker didn't get updated to be a pangolin, but it sure looks like a pangolin.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Eli Shiffrin (January 10, 2020). "Theros Beyond Death Oracle Changes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.