|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
48.8% 3.4% 15.9% 10.4% 2.1% 2.4% 0.3% 1.8% 0.6% 5.8% 3.7% 0.3% 2.4% 1.2% 0.9%as of Core Set 2021
Description[edit | edit source]
Knights are highly trained combatants who are usually part of a formal army or cavalry, usually specializing in fighting on horseback with a sword or lance. Most knights, especially those aligned with white or black, are pledged to a single lord or order, though many black and most red knights are devoted only to themselves. First strike is the most common ability found among Knights. Some Knights have double strike, flanking, and protection, a few knights ride steeds with flying as well.
Some knights, called "paladins", channel mana in a way similar to Clerics. Paladin was originally a separate creature type from Knight, but the two were later combined under the latter. The subtypes Cavalry (Moorish Cavalry) and Crusader (only used for Aysen Crusader) were changed to Knight as well.
Throne of Eldraine features a heavy tribal themes around Knights. In that set, knights appear in all five colors, but they have the most tribal synergy in white, black and red. Some of the cards had been transferred from the abandoned small set in the proposed Dominaria block.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Knightly Organizations[edit | edit source]
- Juniper Order
- Knights of Kjeldor
- Knights of Thorn
- Order of Leitbur
- Order of Stromgald
- Order of the Ebon Hand
- Order of the Steel Leaf
- Knights of Meadowgrain
- Order of the Golden Cricket
- Order of Yawgmoth
- Serra Paladins
Notable Knights[edit | edit source]
- Adun Oakenshield
- Avram Garrison
- Danitha Capashen
- Jaeuhl Carthalion
- Josu Vess
- The Lord of House Khone
- Márton Stromgald
- Sir Shandlar
- Sauruven Hellwald
- Sidar Jabari
- Sidar Kondo
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Token Name||Color||Type Line||P/T||Text Box||Source||Printings|
|Elf Knight||Green/White||Creature — Elf Knight||2/2||Vigilance|
|Knight||Black||Creature — Knight||2/2||Flanking, protection from white, haste|
|White||Creature — Knight||1/1||Banding|
|White||Creature — Knight||2/2|
|White||Creature — Knight||2/2||First strike|
|White||Creature — Knight||2/2||Vigilance||
|Knight Ally||White||Creature — Knight Ally||2/2|
|Vampire Knight||Black||Creature — Vampire Knight||1/1||Lifelink|
|Zombie Knight||Black||Creature — Zombie Knight||2/2||Menace|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Opal Champion is an enchantment that can create a 3/3 white Knight with First Strike.
- With Dub, any creature can become a knight.
- The silver-bordered Unsanctioned set features the mechanic Knightlifelink (Damage dealt by Knights you control also causes you to gain that much life.)
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (December 14, 2019). "Flavour-wise, what's the difference between soldier, knight and warrior?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 05, 2019). "Eldraine knights are W, B and R only?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 16, 2019). "Singing in the Eldraine". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 04, 2019). "Was Eldraine where most of the Knight tribal cards went after the second Dominaria set was cancelled?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Johannes Voss (September 14, 2019). "Here's my full painting for Silverwing Squadron!". Reddit.
- Magic Arcana (March 22, 2007). "Planar Chaos Token Art 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (September 26, 2005). "Ravnica Hunted Tokens 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.