As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
Omnath, also known as the "flickering heart", is a divine manifestation of the wild and chaotic mana of Zendikar, an elemental being that can be found in some incarnation in many creation myths of the plane.
Description[edit | edit source]
It is a being of pure mana, a manifestation of Zendikar's chaotic, primeval forces that is capable of wreaking massive destruction. Omnath started out as a pure green creature, but acquired other colors of mana one by one, incorporating red, blue, and white in that order.
History[edit | edit source]
Despite the uncertainty of Omnath's actual existence, a real site on a high mesa of Ondu was dubbed the "Prison of Omnath". The site was safeguarded by a binding circle of strange globular swamp-growths, stone hedrons, and animal bones. The circle created an eerie sensation in those who approached it, deterring them from approaching the circle's center, where a huge pit leads deep into the ground. Those who got too close died to the destructive surges of power that lashed out from the circle.
Religious pilgrims from across Zendikar traveled to the Prison of Omnath on a twice-yearly basis to perform the "Ritual of Lights", a ceremony designed to protect the world from the release of Omnath. During the events leading up to the Rise of the Eldrazi, however, the ritual was disrupted and Omnath was set loose. Like a human body fighting a disease, Omnath began to adapt to deal with the Eldrazi threat. It absorbed more and more mana, embodying not just the might of the forests and jungles, but the fury of the mountains, the unrelenting seas, and the life-giving plains of Zendikar.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
In-game references[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Creative Team (November 11, 2009). "A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar: Ondu". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 8, 2019). "What Core Can I Say? - Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ari Zirulnik (September 15, 2020). "The Legends of Zendikar Rising". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (January 18, 2010). "Worldwake: A Plane in Revolt". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (September 17, 2020). "Zendikar Rising Art Descriptions". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.