|Lifetime||-5,000 A.C. - present|
Description[edit | edit source]
Niv-Mizzet is at least 15,000 years old. His intellect exceeds that of standard mortals by several echelons, and he is known for many ingenious inventions that currently serve the citizens of Ravnica, the most well known being the almost indestructible, yet easily usable and forgeable metal, mizzium. Possessed of arrogance and vanity that matches his vast intellect and tremendous power, Niv-Mizzet directs the research and experiments of his countless underlings from his private laboratory at the top of the lzzet guildhall.
History[edit | edit source]
The Guildpact[edit | edit source]
The lzzet League is one of the few guilds whose founder remains its guildmaster, just as the guild continues to fulfill its original mission (even as its experiments go far beyond the guild's original mandate). Niv-Mizzet, the original and current guildmaster of the lzzet League, is a fifteen-thousand-year-old dragon.
The Firemind[edit | edit source]
The Firemind is an extrasensory link to Niv-Mizzet’s omniscience. To possess it is to be immersed in passionate brilliance. Not all Izzet are in tune with the Firemind though; the honor must be earned by passing a test or by accomplishing an extraordinary achievement.
Absence[edit | edit source]
As time wore on, he became further and further reclusive and wasn't seen publicly for over 2500 years prior to his appearance to help the goblin master engineer Crixizix deal with the rampant nephilim. He destroyed two of them, but fled after being injured by an unforeseen attack by the nephilim, who had been empowered by consuming the flesh of a dragon. He left the battle, claiming that he was bored of the fight, for an unknown destination in the northern aeries and did not return whilst the Nephilim ran amok.
His disappearance from Ravnica seemed to be complete, as even those who were tied to the Firemind could not find him. However, he later returned as a signatory for the new guildpact negotiated by Teysa Karlov.
The Implicit Maze[edit | edit source]
Long after the Guildpact had been laid to waste the Izzet League undertook a massive research project that spanned the 10th district. Niv-Mizzet put many of his guild's most powerful mages, including Ral Zarek, into a scavenger hunt across and under the city in search for the secrets of the Implicit Maze. This project was progressing slowly until Jace Beleren used his powers to peer into the dragon's mind to learn the secrets that Niv-Mizzet sought. Fascinated by the mindmage, Niv-Mizzet took Ral Zarek out of the Maze project to discover what Jace had learned. Partially successful in this, Zarek was sent to deliver an invitation to the other guilds, urging them to send Mazerunners to the Transguild Promenade. Niv-Mizzet went to work creating the Izzet Mazerunner, a Weird made from Ice and Lightning that he called Melek. At the Transguild Promenade however a disgruntled Zarek destroyed Melek and replaced him as the Izzet Mazerunner. Niv-Mizzet arrived at the Forum of Azor shortly after Jace Beleren used mind magic to halt the aggression between the Runners and after a tense stand off with Jace he left to ponder the Guildpact's return.
Facing Bolas[edit | edit source]
Niv-Mizzet knows about other planes and planeswalkers and has figured out that a threat to Ravnica is coming. He has started an experiment (the "Interlocus") that should remove the Guildpact and let him empower himself, but he needs the help of the other guilds to pull it off. A murder attempt by an unknown assailant has made his project even more urgent. To work on this experiment he has headed away from the main part of the city and has left Ral Zarek behind as acting guildleader. Niv-Mizzet has Ral turn Project Lightning Bug into a beacon to call other walkers to help fight Bolas. When Zarek makes a device to fulfill Niv-Mizzet's plan of stealing the power of the Guildpact, Dovin Baan finds out and plays along until right before Bolas' arrival on the plane and then sabotages the device, leaving Jace as the Living Guildpact and Niv-Mizzet without the extra power he craved.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- His card's flavor text "(Z->)90° - (E-N²W)90°t=1" is very well known, and has led to multiple interpretations; one such is that it reads "Niv-Mizzet = 1", as when one turns the symbols in the parenthesis 90 degrees, it reads "(NIV)-(MIZZE)t=1", a possible allusion that he considers himself #1 in every aspect, or that he is the only higher dragon left in Ravnica. Mark Rosewater's comment on the "=1" part was that this means "equal 1 copy of his name". Another interpretation is that his ability to tap to draw a card does 1 point of damage.
- It has been confirmed that Niv-Mizzet doesn't leave Ravnica, defusing speculation that he could somehow planeswalk.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
Quoted or referred to:
- Command the Storm
- Crackling Perimeter
- Enter the Infinite
- Hypersonic Dragon
- Invoke the Firemind
- Izzet Guildgate (Dragon's Maze)
- Izzet Guildgate (Guilds of Ravnica, #252)
- Izzet Signet
- Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind
- Skinbrand Goblin
- Warmind Infantry
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Cavotta. (January 11, 2006.) "Niv-Mizzet, the Fountainhead", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt (January 2019). "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Ravnica'" . Wizards of the Coast
- Mark Rosewater. (December 10, 2007.) "What Do You Know, Part II", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth. (January 30, 2009.) He remains on Ravnica. I will say no more.