Mystery Booster/Retail Edition
|Set symbol||This set has no own expansion symbol.|
|Symbol description||Cards use the symbol of their original expansion.|
|Release date||March 13, 2020|
or ability words
|Set size||1,694 + 121|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
The Retail Edition of Mystery Booster was released on March 13, 2020.
Description[edit | edit source]
This version of the set contains only reprinted cards. The Retail Edition fills the special slot with one of 121 possible foil cards, instead of test cards. These foil cards are different cards than those found in the main set. There are no never-before-done foils, because the producers of the set worked with pre-existing print files. The set is not Standard-legal.
To support local stores during the 2019-2020 coronavirus pandemic, Wizards of the Coast announced a reprint of Mystery Booster and the allocation of the boosters to WPN member stores—at no charge. Every single dollar spend on this printing it will be going straight to the local stores.
Booster Pack Contents:
- 2 white commons or uncommons
- 2 blue commons or uncommons
- 2 black commons or uncommons
- 2 red commons or uncommons
- 2 green commons or uncommons
- 1 multicolor common or uncommon
- 1 artifact or land common or uncommon
- 1 Pre-M15 card
- 1 Post-M15 rare or mythic
- 1 foil card pulled from a curated list
Notable cards[edit | edit source]
High monetary value reprints[edit | edit source]
- Bloom Tender
- Demonic Tutor
- Mana Crypt
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds
- Sen Triplets
- Teferi's Protection
Memes[edit | edit source]
- Storm Crow — the mightiest card of all.
- Hornet Sting — a heavy color break to attack Maro.
- One with Nothing — mirroring One with Death from the test cards list.
- Chimney Imp — known for its relatively high mana cost compared to its abilities and power/toughness ratio.
References[edit | edit source]
- Gavin Verhey (November 14, 2019). "Unraveling the Mystery Booster". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- David McCoy (November 7, 2019). "Magic’s Mystery Boosters Revealed". Hipsters of the Coast.
- Kendall Pepple (March 6, 2020). "Mystery Booster Foil Card List". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (February 17, 2020). "Just to set expectations, as I've said before, this set adds no never-before-done foils into the world.". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (October 12, 2019). "What about the Mystery booster set?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast (March 26, 2020). "Changes to the Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths Release Schedule". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Can someone explain the storm crow meme?. Reddit (2018).
- Mark Rosewater (February 18, 2018). "Why does Hornet Sting exist?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (March 06, 2020). "What is the story behind you disliking Hornet Sting?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Comment by Gavin Verhey. Reddit.