The Multiverse is the near-infinite number of different planes. Nobody really knows how many planes there truly are. Urza for one believed that there is a finite number of planes, merely more than can ever be counted in the combined lifetime of every being in existence. However another source notes that the multiverse is "boundless".[notes 1]
Dominia is an outdated name for the entire multiverse. The term was dropped probably due to its confusing similarity to Dominaria, the setting for most of Magic's storylines in the early years.
The Nexus of the Multiverse is a plane (or a place [notes 2]) in the center of the multiverse with a great influence on all other planes. The world of Dominaria is known to be the Nexus, but since the plane has only been in existence for a finite amount of time, and in fact, older planes are known (such as Equilor), this was probably not always the case. Due to the changing nature of the multiverse, one day another plane may replace it.
Being a Nexus is probably connected with the large amount of mana lines flowing into it from other planes. That lets it to quickly regenerate its supplies of mana[notes 3] and most likely is a way of how it affects other planes. Its collapse can cause the destruction of the time stream — an abrupt end of the multiverse's existence and the near-infinite amount of its planes.
Multiverse also used to be the name of the Wizards of the Coast card database that includes R&D comments on cards. It was replaced by a new database named Drake.
- ↑ Technically this is not a contradiction. As an analogy, Earth's surface does not have any bounds, but it is still finite.
- ↑ Thus far, Magic storyline has yet to provide an answer to the question to whether Dominaria would lose this function if it shifted off from the center of the multiverse.
- ↑ It can be crucial for a plane which is a focus point of many planeswalkers' interests and their destructive influences.
- ↑ Planeswalker
- ↑ Wizards of the Coast. (July 25, 2008.) “You Are a Planeswalker”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (July 27, 2014.) "Does the multiverse still have the proper name Dominia?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (November 7, 2016.) “A Few More Words from R&D”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (November 7, 2016.) "What's up with the changing of "Multiverse" to "Drake"?", Blogatog, Tumblr.