|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
1.1% 39.1% 16.1% 1.1% 11.5% 20.7% 2.3% 1.1% 6.9%as of Core Set 2021
Monk is a creature type and class. The monk class is a relatively late addition to the game. Originally, creatures with the word "monk" in their names bore the cleric type, but monk became its own creature type with the release of the Kamigawa block, and monks printed before that now have both types. Dervish (Whirling Dervish) was also changed into subtype Monk.
Description[edit | edit source]
Monks are individuals who have devoted their lives to quiet introspection and meditation, though many monks are skilled at magic, martial arts, or both. Some monks live their lives in solitude, while others come together in monasteries. Some monks are devoted to a specific faith, while others seek enlightenment away from religion. Most monks are white, green or blue in roughly this order, with the majority of multicoloured ones occurring in blue/red/white.
Monastic organizations[edit | edit source]
- Budoka, monks of Kamigawa that practice a life of devotion to nature.
- The Ember Fell monastery on Lorwyn
- Kannushi, druid-like priests on Kamigawa who rever the kami.
- Keral Keep, monks on Regatha that study the teachings of Jaya Ballard.
- The Jeskai Way, one of the five Clans of Tarkir.
- The Order of the Shieldmage on Gobakhan.
- The Zho monks of Jamuraa on Dominaria.
Notable monks[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
- The Mad Monk
Kamigawa[edit | edit source]
- Azusa, a legendary traveling female kannushi.
- Dokai, a kannushi, whose connection to the land was so strong that he could “bring it to life".
- Dosan, the oldest living kannushi on Kamigawa and perhaps the most revered.
- Erayo, a soratami woman whose meditations enabled her to transcend the material world.
- Homura, a human monk whose meditations allowed him to grant the power of dragons to his allies.
- Iwamori (literally, “rock of the woods”), a budoka eager to prove his fighting skill against any and all challengers.
- Kobo, a human apprentice of the ogre shaman Hidetsugu (later a shaman himself)
- Kuon. An o-bakemono (an ogre) whose blood-magic meditations elevated him into the essence of pain and agony.
- Reki. The human monk on whose body the history of the Kami War was written.
- Rune-Tail. A kitsune whose meditations enabled him to bless his followers with immortality.
- Sasaya. An orochi female whose meditations enabled her to meld her life force with that of the forest.
- Seshiro, the leader of the orochi colonies.
Lorwyn[edit | edit source]
Tarkir[edit | edit source]
- Ishai, an aven. Personal attendant of dragonlord Ojutai.
- Narset, who went on to become a planeswalker.
- Shu Yun
Unknown[edit | edit source]
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Token Name||Color||Type Line||P/T||Text Box||Source||Printings|
|Monk||White||Creature — Monk||1/1||Prowess|
|Djinn Monk||Blue||Creature — Djinn Monk||2/2||Flying|