In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Static (1st ability)|
Triggered (2nd ability)
|Last Used||Modern Horizons|
|Reminder Text||Modular N (This enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it. When it dies, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature.)|
History[edit | edit source]
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that has a permanent enter the battlefield with +1/+1 counters on it and can move those counters to other artifact creatures. See rule 702.42, “Modular.”
- 702.42. Modular
- 702.42a Modular represents both a static ability and a triggered ability. “Modular N” means “This permanent enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it” and “When this permanent is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target artifact creature for each +1/+1 counter on this permanent.”
- 702.42b If a creature has multiple instances of modular, each one works separately.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- If an Arcbound creature gets enough -1/-1 counters to make its toughness 0 or cause the damage on it to now be lethal, the Modular ability will still give another artifact creature a number of +1/+1 counters equal to the number the Arcbound creature had before it got -1/-1 counters.
- For the enters-the-battlefield ability, the number of counters the permanent gets is equal to the number that follows "modular" on the card.
- For the leaves-the-battlefield ability, the number of counters on the permanent at the time it left the battlefield is what's relevant; the number after "modular" doesn't matter.
- When a creature with modular dies, you may put the counters onto a single target artifact creature. You can't split them among two or more artifact creatures.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Artifact Creature — Golem
Modular 3 (This enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it. When it dies, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature.)
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (January 12, 2004). "Arcbound To Happen". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (January 27, 2004). "The flavor of modular". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (May 31, 2019). "Modern Horizons Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.