Modern Masters 2015
|Modern Masters 2015|
Erik Lauer (lead)|
Tom LaPille (lead)|
|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||May 22, 2015|
|Themes and mechanics||Arcane, Eldrazi and Drones, Elementals, Spiritcraft, Hybrid mana, Phyrexian mana|
|Keywords/ability words||Annihilator, Affinity, Landcycling, Bloodthirst, Changeling, Convoke, Evoke, Domain, Exalted, Graft, (Multi)kicker, Landcycling, Living weapon, Metalcraft, Proliferate, Soulshift, Sunburst, Wither|
(101 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares)
|Physical Masters series|
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
Modern Masters 2015, officially styled as Modern Masters (2015 Edition), is the second set in the Modern Masters series. It is a booster-based compilation set containing cards legal in, and intended for, the Modern format. It was released on May 22, 2015.
|“||Draft Like a Master||”|
Modern Masters 2015 is a 249 card set consisting of reprints of cards originally printed between Eighth Edition and New Phyrexia. Modern Masters 2015 is exclusively booster-based, thus no satellite products such as preconstructed theme decks are branded with the set. Each booster contains 15 playable cards: 10 commons, 3 uncommons, one rare or mythic rare, and one foil card of any rarity replacing the basic land which would normally be found in a booster as Modern Masters 2015 does not contain a run of basic lands. Due to the higher expected average value of the cards contained in a booster and the lower print run, the MSRP of one booster of Modern Masters was set to $9.99 ($3 higher than the first Modern Masters set). Due to the higher MSRP booster displays only contain 24 packs, which is also the number required for a regular draft (three boosters for each of eight players), as the set was designed specifically for draft. As an experiment, the packaging for English language boosters was made of recyclable paperboard. This gave cause for concern about the possibility of resealing the packages with other content and also about printing and collation issues. The packaging material features the word Magic, without : The Gathering, a first in Magic history. The 16-card boosters (the sixteenth card is a marketing card) feature artwork from Noble Hierarch, Karn Liberated and Vendilion Clique. A number of cards changed rarity from their original printing to create a better drafting environment or because mythic rare wasn't introduced until the Alara block. Some cards receive new artwork.
The set was printed in English, Japanese and Chinese Simplified.
|Title||Author||Release Date||Setting (plane)||Featuring|
|The Dragon's Errand||Alexander Smith||2015-05-06||Kamigawa||Kiki-Jiki, Meloku|
Themes and mechanics
Some mechanics were dictated by cards that were wanted for constructed reasons. Other mechanics were chosen because they were synergistic with those mechanics and each other. As the two new blocks entering were Zendikar and Scars of Mirrodin blocks, R&D leaned slightly on choosing themes from those two blocks. During the coverage of GP Utrecht (Modern Masters Weekend) the following limited archetypes were presented on one of the official Twitch channels:
- : Metalcraft/Affinity (Ethercaste Knight, Glassdust Hulk)
- : Proliferate (Tezzeret's Gambit, Spread the Sickness)
- : Bloodthirst aggro (Ashenmoor Gouger)
- : Domain ramp (Rampant Growth)
- : Convoke tokens (Selesnya Guildmage, Sigil Blessing)
- : Spiritcraft/Soulshift) (Restless Apparition)
- : Elementals (Shrewd Hatchling)
- : Sacrifice/tokens (Drooling Groodion, Necrogenesis)
- : Double strike/Equipment (Boros Swiftblade, Hearthfire Hobgoblin)
- : Graft (Plaxcaster Frogling)
Changes in rarity
Common to Uncommon
- Devouring Greed
- Spread the Sickness
- Lightning Bolt
- Mutagenic Growth
- Agony Warp
- Ethercaste Knight
- Glassdust Hulk
- Pillory of the Sleepless
- Sigil Blessing
- Wrecking Ball
- Cranial Plating
- Expedition Map
- Ravnica block bounce lands
Uncommon to Common
- Conclave Phalanx
- Skyhunter Skirmisher
- Telling Time
- Tribal Flames
- Vigean Graftmage
- Ghostly Changeling
- Plagued Rusalka
- Thief of Hope
- Dragonsoul Knight
- Gut Shot
- Inner-Flame Igniter
- Viashino Slaughtermaster
- Alloy Myr
- Runed Servitor
- Rusted Relic
- Sphere of the Suns
Rare to Common
Rare to Uncommon
- Hikari, Twilight Guardian
- Novijen Sages
- Incandescent Soulstoke
- Skarrgan Firebird
- Worldheart Phoenix
- Cytoplast Root-Kin
- Eldrazi Temple
Rare to Mythic
Mythic to Rare
There are two cycles in Modern Masters 2015, one of which is a double cycle:
|Enemy color hate||Celestial Purge||Flashfreeze||Deathmark||Combust||Karplusan Strider|
|Five uncommon cards that specifically go against the color's two enemy colors.|
|Bounce lands||Azorius Chancery||Dimir Aqueduct||Rakdos Carnarium||Gruul Turf||Selesnya Sanctuary||Orzhov Basilica||Izzet Boilerworks||Golgari Rot Farm||Boros Garrison||Simic Growth Chamber|
|Ten uncommon lands that enter the battlefield tapped, provided its controller returns a land he or she controls to its owner's hand. Each of these lands can tap to produce two mana, one of each of the its associate guild's colors. Reprinted from the Ravnica Block|
- 0/1 Eldrazi Spawn creature with "Sacrifice this creature: Add ." for Nest Invader, Dread Drone, Kozilek's Predator (Ulamog spawn)
- 0/1 Eldrazi Spawn creature with "Sacrifice this creature: Add ." (Emrakul spawn)
- 0/1 Eldrazi Spawn creature with "Sacrifice this creature: Add ." (Kozilek spawn)
- 1/1 Soldier creature for Raise the Alarm
- 1/1 Spirit creature with flying for Spectral Procession
- 1/1 Faerie Rogue creature with flying for Bitterblossom (new art)
- 0/0 Germ creature for Flayer Husk, Mortarpod, Sickleslicer
- 1/1 Thrull creature for Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder (Magic Online art)
- 3/3 Elephant creature for Bestial Menace
- 1/1 Insect creature for Ant Queen
- 1/1 Saproling creature for Necrogenesis, Scatter the Seeds, Selesnya Guildmage, Tukatongue Thallid
- 1/1 Snake creature for Bestial Menace
- 2/2 Wolf creature for Bestial Menace, Wolfbriar Elemental
- 1/1 Worm creature for Creakwood Liege
- 3/3 Golem artifact creature for Precursor Golem
- 1/1 Myr artifact creature for Myrsmith
- Tarmogoyf, the most expensive card in the Modern format. Like in the first Modern Masters, it is printed as a mythic rare.
- Splinter Twin, a critical part of an infinite combo deck, was eventually banned in modern for reducing competitive diversity.
- Eye of Ugin, was eventually banned in modern for its role in causing the "Eldrazi Winter".
- Cards with new art:
- Printed on the card frame.
- Wizards of the Coast (December 8, 2014). "Announcing Modern Masters (2015 Edition)". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak et al. (May 12, 2015). "Modern Masters 2015 Edition Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (February 24, 2015). "Recyclable Modern Masters Packaging". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (May 21, 2015). "Modern Masters Packaging Concerns". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (May 26, 2015). "Concerns with Modern Masters 2015 Edition Booster Packs". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (May 4, 2015). "Modern Masters 2015 Edition Packaging". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (May 4, 2015). "Mining the Past". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Michael Yichao (May 20, 2015). "A New Coat of Paint for Modern Masters 2015 Edition". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Alli Medwin (May 25, 2015). "Modern Design, Modern Mastery". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ben Hayes (May 4, 2015). "Developing and Designing Modern Masters 2015 Edition". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (May 8, 2015). "Not-so-New World Order". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Marshall Sutcliffe (May 6, 2015). "Modern Masters 2015 Edition Previews". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (May 7, 2015). "Tokens of Modern Masters 2015 Edition". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 18, 2016). "January 18, 2016 Banned and Restricted Announcement". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (April 4, 2016). "April 4, 2016 Banned and Restricted Announcement". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike McArtor (December 10, 2014). "A Modern Teaser". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (May, 2015). "Modern Masters 2015 Card Image Gallery". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (May 27, 2016). "Learning from the Masters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.