Mercenary is a creature class. Mercenaries are individuals who sell their services in combat for money. Mercenaries have a reputation for being thuggish brutes or dangerously untrustworthy cads, though some are honorable.
History[edit | edit source]
Like many creatures of the Rebel creature type, many Mercenaries have the ability to "recruit" or "hire" other Mercenaries (i.e., allowing a player to search his or her library and putting a Mercenary card from it into play). Due to their generally unsavory and untrustworthy natures, however, Mercenaries can only recruit creatures weaker (that is, with a lower casting cost) than they are.
Notable mercenaries[edit | edit source]
Notable mercenary organizations[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana. (July 12, 2005.) “Renegade from the Mountains”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Gottlieb. (September 26, 2007.) “The Grand Creature Type Update”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Gottlieb. (July 14, 2010.) “July 2010 Update Bulletin”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- Gatherer subtype search for "Mercenary", Gatherer — Wizards of the Coast
- In addition, the black Mercadian Masques sorcery Cateran Summons allows its controller to search his or her library for a Mercenary card and put it into his or her hand.