|Introduced||Guilds of Ravnica|
|Last Used||Guilds of Ravnica|
|Reminder Text||Mentor (Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on target attacking creature with lesser power.)|
31% 31% 38%
Mentor is a keyword ability introduced in Guilds of Ravnica for the Boros Legion of Ravnica. It can only be found on creatures. When a creature with Mentor attacks, you may place a +1/+1 counter on another attacking creature with lesser power.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Mentor compares the power of the creature with mentor with that of the target creature at two different times: once as the triggered ability is put onto the stack, and once as the triggered ability resolves. If you wish to raise a creature's power so its mentor ability can target a bigger creature, the last chance you have to do so is during the beginning of combat step.
- If the target creature's power is no longer less than the attacking creature's power as the ability resolves, mentor doesn't add a +1/+1 counter. For example, if two 3/3 creatures with mentor attack and both mentor triggers target the same 2/2 creature, the first to resolve puts a +1/+1 counter on it and the second does nothing.
- If the creature with mentor leaves the battlefield with mentor on the stack, use its power as that creature last existed on the battlefield to determine whether the target creature has less power.
Example[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Tabak. (September 4, 2018.) "Guilds of Ravnica Mechanics", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (September 17, 2018.) "Guild to Order, Part 2", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (September 20, 2018.) "Guilds of Ravnica Release Notes", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.