|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
66.7% 27.8% 5.6%as of Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Gorgons, also known as medusae, are snake-skinned humanoid women with hair made of snakes or snakelike tendrils. Incredibly deadly, these creatures are rare across the various planes.
Gorgons have the ability to calcify organic entities that look at the gorgon's face. The transformation is rapid, leaving the victim as a stone statue, usually frozen in a position of abject fear or agony- a fine trophy for the gorgon's macabre collection. The gorgon must exert its will to effect this transformation, so the gaze of a surprised or friendly gorgon is harmless. Only rare, powerful magic can reverse petrification (usually resulting in a well-preserved corpse), and it is irreversible if the victim statue is broken beyond repair.
The first creature to bear the creature type was Masked Gorgon in Judgement, though the Infernal Medusa from Legends was later issued errata in the Grand Creature Type Update to become a Gorgon instead of a Medusa. Mechanically, Gorgons tend to either have deathtouch, or an ability that destroys creatures - of the eight without access to deathtouch, three have deathtouch variants, and three others destroy creatures in other ways. They also tend to have lower power and higher toughness.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Ravnica is home to dozens of gorgons, including the Sisters of Stone Death and the planeswalker Vraska. After several battles with the Golgari parun, Svogthir, the Sisters of Stone Death were diminished to only one: Ludmilla. She was believed to be the sole gorgon left on Ravnica, though Vraska and others later appeared as members of the Golgari Swarm as well. When Vraska took control of the guild, she became a passionate voice for other gorgons as they had become the most downtrodden race of the Golgari.
Ravnican gorgons resemble green-scaled humanoids. In place of hair, they have a writhing mass of black, serpentine cables, and their hands are scaly claws.
Shandalar[edit | edit source]
Theros[edit | edit source]
Gorgons of Theros were created by the god Pharika. Gorgons appear more common on this plane than on other planes, though they are still quite rare. Unlike the gorgons of previous planes, gorgons on Theros have snakelike lower bodies (similar to nagas).
Some of Pharika's first creations, the Pharika's Spawn, were considered by her to be too dangerous for her to control. They were banished to the Underworld, and are now used by Erebos to keep souls where they belong.
Notable Gorgons[edit | edit source]
- The Sisters of Stone Death — the guildmasters of the Golgari Swarm during the original Ravnica block. The only surviving sister, Ludmilla, remains in Ravnica's Undercity.
- Vraska — a planeswalker associated with the Golgari Swarm.
- Hythonia — a massive gorgon initially believed to be the avatar of Pharika. Known as the queen of gorgons, Hythonia has made her home on Skathos where she transforms Pharika's cultists into stone.
- Damia — a sage whose knowledge of the arcane rivals that of any archmage.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- James Wyatt and Jeremy Crawford (November 2018). "D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica", Wizards of the Coast
- James Wyatt (January 2019). "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Ravnica". Wizards of the Coast
- Nicky Drayden (November 7, 2018). "Death's Precious Moments". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Chas Andres (October 3, 2018). "A Flavorful Guide to the Guilds of Ravnica". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (October 06, 2013). "Who, what, or where is a Xathrid?". A Voice for Vorthos. Tumblr.
- Bonnie Bruenderman (February 19, 2014). "Monster Menagerie: Gorgons". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic: The Gathering - Theros Issue #2
- Wizards of the Coast (December 16, 2019). "The Theros Beyond Death Story on Cards". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.