After Crimson Manticore from Legends, two other red Manticores were printed: Flailing Manticore in Mercadian Masques and Conquering Manticore in Rise of the Eldrazi. Sawback Manticore from Mirage and Chromanticore from Born of the Gods are multicolored. The manticores from Amonkhet are red again.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Amonkhet[edit | edit source]
The Manticores of Amonkhet are wingless, with the bodies and heads of great cats, spiked legs and a scorpion tail. They are used in the trials of the five gods to test the inhabitants of Naktamun. Some were zombified and joined Bolas' army of Eternals.
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Dominarian manticores have the wings of a bat. They are known to see every other creature than their own as food. A crimson manticore in the service of Geyadrone Dihada once attacked Dakkon Blackblade on Corondor, and was killed.
Mercadia[edit | edit source]
In contrast to most Manticores, those on Mercadia have feathered wings.
Theros[edit | edit source]
Theran Manticores live in the far reaches of Theros, beyond leonin lands. A manticore has the body of a lion, a human-like head with many rows of teeth, and a deadly tail. Akroans say each manticore is the reincarnated spirit of a once-great warrior, part of an army slaughtered defending its homeland from archons. The warriors were so full of life and valor that the gods intervened and transformed them into manticores.
Zendikar[edit | edit source]
Masticores[edit | edit source]
Masticore is a seperate subtype used for artifact creatures. While a manticore is a flying, ferocious, red-aligned, lion-like beast, a masticore is a non-flying, still-ferocious, metallic lion-like beast. Masticores usually have a stinging, barbed tail just like a manticore, but they also tend to have lines of razor-like metal teeth (to do the masticating). Manticores are fleshy and flying; masticores are galvanized and grounded. The name is based off the word masticate, meaning 'to eat,' 
Manticore tokens[edit | edit source]
named Heart-Piercer Manticore
|White||Creature — Zombie Manticore||4/3||When Heart-Piercer Manticore enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice another creature. When you do, Heart-Piercer Manticore deals damage equal to that creature's power to target creature or player.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Bonnie Bruenderman. (February 07, 2014.) "Monster Menagerie: Manticores", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Plane Shift: Amonkhet
- The Magic Creative Team. (September 04, 2013.) "Planeswalker's Guide to Theros, Part 3", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (November 01, 2010.) "A Brief History of Masticores", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (August 10, 2011.) "Magic's Exclusive Creatures", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (November 17, 2010.) "The Human Cultures of Mirrodin", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (Wednesday, January 2, 2002..) "In the Beginning...", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.