A mana stone is an artifact that produces mana.
Description[edit | edit source]
Mana stones are often employed at common to enhance mana quality or color fixing in limited and regularly come in cycles when producing colored mana, though often they produce colorless mana and have additional abilities.
Mana Stones are popular in Commander as a means to speed up the game as mana stones are additional mana sources that continuously provide extra mana. Artifact creatures and cards that require the sacrifice of permanents are not considered mana stones.
The Moxen can also be considered mana stones.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
- Mana Batteries from Legends, which cost and can store up mana for later use, thus function similar to storage lands: White Mana Battery (), Blue Mana Battery (), Black Mana Battery (), Red Mana Battery (), and Green Mana Battery ().
- Diamonds from Mirage which cost and function like taplands, but precede them: Marble Diamond (), Sky Diamond (), Charcoal Diamond (), Fire Diamond (), and Moss Diamond ().
- Ramos Artifacts from Mercadian Masques which cost : Tooth of Ramos (), Eye of Ramos (), Skull of Ramos (), Heart of Ramos (), and Horn of Ramos ().
- Cameos from Invasion which cost : Seashell Cameo (), Drake-Skull Cameo (), Bloodstone Cameo (), Troll-Horn Cameo (), and Tigereye Cameo ().
- Talismans from Mirrodin which cost and mimic pain lands: Talisman of Progress (), Talisman of Dominance (), Talisman of Indulgence (), Talisman of Impulse (), and Talisman of Unity ().
- Signets from the Ravnica block which cost and mimic filter lands: Azorius Signet (), Orzhov Signet (), Boros Signet (), Selesnya Signet (), Dimir Signet (), Izzet Signet (), Simic Signet (), Rakdos Signet (), Golgari Signet (), and Gruul Signet ().
- Obelisks from Shards of Alara which cost and tap for one of three colors: Obelisk of Bant (), Obelisk of Esper (), Obelisk of Grixis (), Obelisk of Jund (), and Obelisk of Naya().
- Borderposts from Alara Reborn which cost MN but can be payed by and returning a basic land to its owners hand: Fieldmist Borderpost (), Mistvein Borderpost (), Veinfire Borderpost (), Firewild Borderpost (), and Wildfield Borderpost ().
- Cluestones from Dragon's Maze, which cost , tap for one of two colors, and have an activated ability similar to Mind Stone which let them be sacrificed to draw a card: Azorius Cluestone (), Orzhov Cluestone (), Boros Cluestone (), Selesnya Cluestone (), Dimir Cluestone (), Izzet Cluestone (), Simic Cluestone (), Rakdos Cluestone (), Golgari Cluestone (), and Gruul Cluestone ().
- Banners from Khans of Tarkir, which cost , tap for one of three colors, and have an activated ability similar to Mind Stone which let them be sacrificed to draw a card: Abzan Banner (), Jeskai Banner (), Mardu Banner (), Sultai Banner (), and Temur Banner ().
- Lockets from the Guilds of Ravnica block, which cost , tap for one of two colors, and can be sacrificed by tapping and paying four hybrid mana to draw two cards: Azorius Locket (), Orzhov Locket (), Boros Locket (), Selesnya Locket (), Dimir Locket (), Izzet Locket (), Simic Locket (), Rakdos Locket (), Golgari Locket (), and Gruul Locket ().
Producing colorless mana[edit | edit source]
- Basalt Monolith
- Dreamstone Hedron, which is essentially three Mind Stones on one card.
- Hedron Archive, which is essentially two Mind Stones on one card.
- Everflowing Chalice
- Fractured Powerstone
- Grim Monolith
- Hierophant's Chalice
- Honor-Worn Shaku
- Kyren Toy
- Magnifying Glass
- Mana Crypt
- Mana Vault
- Mind Stone
- Myr Reservoir
- Orazca Relic
- Powerstone Shard
- Prismatic Lens
- Pristine Talisman
- Seer's Lantern
- Serum Powder
- Sisay's Ring, a correctly costed version of Sol Ring
- Sol Ring, produces more mana than it costs the turn it enters the battlefield and is thus often considered broken.
- Thran Dynamo
- Thran Turbine
- Ur-Golem's Eye
- Victory Chimes
- Worn Powerstone
Producing any color[edit | edit source]
- Chromatic Lantern
- Coalition Relic, can store like a Mana Battery.
- Coldsteel Heart, produces snow mana of a chosen color.
- Corrupted Grafstone
- Coveted Jewel
- Cryptolith Fragment
- Darksteel Ingot
- Dragon's Hoard
- Fellwar Stone
- Gemstone Array, can store like a Mana Battery.
- Gilded Lotus
- Khalni Gem
- Mad Science Fair Project
- Paradise Plume, also a lucky charm.
- Pentad Prism
- Phyrexian Lens
- Sol Grail
- Spectral Searchlight
- Sphere of the Suns
- Springleaf Drum
- Star Compass
- Vessel of Endless Rest
Man stones[edit | edit source]
A common subclass of Mana stones are those that can turn themselves into creatures during the late game, providing additional attackers when additional mana becomes less desirable. This is comparable to Manlands, another form of mana-producing permanent that turn themselves into creatures.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
- Totems from Time Spiral, which cost and can become Reserved List creatures: Thunder Totem (, Thunder Spirit), Chronatog Totem (, Chronatog), Phyrexian Totem (, Phyrexian Negator), Foriysian Totem (, Two-Headed Giant of Foriys) and Weatherseed Totem (, Weatherseed Treefolk)
- Keyrunes from Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash, which cost , tap for one of two colors, and can become creatures for MN: Azorius Keyrune (), Orzhov Keyrune (), Boros Keyrune (), Selesnya Keyrune (), Dimir Keyrune (), Izzet Keyrune (), Simic Keyrune (), Rakdos Keyrune (), Golgari Keyrune (), and Gruul Keyrune ().
- Monuments from Dragons of Tarkir, which cost , tap for one of two colors, and can become 4/4 Dragon creatures with flying for 4MN: Atarka Monument (), Dromoka Monument (), Kolaghan Monument (), Ojutai Monument (), and Silumgar Monument ().