Magic Duels is a digital free-to-play Magic game that was first released in July, 2015 on Xbox One, iOS, and PC via Steam, with PlayStation 4 joining later in the year. It was the successor to, and evolution of, the Duels of the Planeswalkers series. Unlike the Duels of the Planeswalkers-series, which were unconnected annual releases, Magic Duels didn't get replaced each year. Lead designer was Drew Nolosco. Updates were cancelled in june 2017, to make way for Magic Digital Next.
Description[edit | edit source]
Magic Duels is free to download and free to play. The game focuses on bringing in newcomers to Magic. Most of the learning comes through situational tips as you play. As you play the game, you earn gold which you trade in for booster packs. If you want to get cards quicker, you can also buy gold, but all gameplay content is earnable just by playing.
Editions[edit | edit source]
Magic Duels launched with the new storyline featured in the Magic Origins set and Magic Origins boosters available in the store. It will continue to expand with regular downloadable content that reflects the latest sets. Four times a year, Magic: The Gathering releases a block booster set; two sets per block, two blocks a year. Four times a year, those block booster sets will push down to Magic Duels as a huge card content update. All your cards stay in your cardpool and all the boosters of earlier sets will be kept available in the shop.
- Magic Duels: Origins (July 2015). Players experience the origin stories of five iconic Planeswalkers through immersive gameplay.
- Magic Duels: Battle for Zendikar (November / December 2015). Return to the wild plane of Zendikar where the monstrous Eldrazi threaten the entire world with destruction. The plane’s inhabitants, and even the land itself, stand united to oppose them. Answer the call and join the Battle for Zendikar! The update features over 150 new cards to collect, a new story campaign, and fixes for platform specific issues.
- Magic Duels: Oath of the Gatewatch (April 2016). Instead of the Oath of the Gatewatch update being available in January, the release was suspended until April.
- Magic Duels: Shadows over Innistrad (April 6, 2016). Added 170 new cards. Released together with Oath of the Gatewatch.
- Magic Duels: Eldritch Moon (July 20, 2016). Added 131 new cards.
- Magic Duels: Kaladesh (September 28/29, 2016). Added 167 new cards.
- Magic Duels: Aether Revolt (January 18/19, 2017). Added 138 new cards.
- Magic Duels: Amonkhet (April 26/27, 2017). Added 169 new cards.
- Magic Duels: Hour of Devastation (July, 2017). Cancelled.
Features[edit | edit source]
- 1,000+ unique, earnable Magic cards;
- 50+ free story-driven Campaign Missions;
- Full Deck Builder, Improved card filter and options;
- Deck Wizard — a step-by-step assistant which make building popular deck archetypes quick and easy;
- First-ever playable Planeswalker cards;
- Solo Battle mode featuring virtually endless AI opponents;
- Expanded multiplayer options, including Two-Headed Giant mode;
- Quest system with new individual and community challenges every week;
- Limitless Free-to-Play with 100% earnable content;
- All-new Skill Quest tutorial system;
- Purchasable Avatars/Personas
- New customizable card sleeves and full-art lands;
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Duels: Origins press release
- Drew Nolosco (July 8, 2015). "Magic Duels: Origins Dev Diaries". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jeffrey Steefel (June 13, 2017). "Magic Digital Next Update". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- [email protected] Spotlight: Magic Duels: Origins Bring Free-to-Play Card Game Action to Xbox One
- Matt Tabak and Drew Nolosco (March 2, 2016). "Changes Are Here, to Coin a Phrase". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Origins Planeswalkers young and old
- Blake Rasmussen (June 16, 2015). "Magic Duels: Origins Gameplay Trailer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Battle for Zendikar update
- Michael Yichao (January 7, 2016). "Oath of the Gatewatch Approaches!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.