Aaron Forsythe (lead)|
Billy Moreno (lead)|
|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||July 18, 2014|
or ability words
269 cards (101 Commons, 80 Uncommons, 53 Rares, 15 Mythic Rares, 20 Basic Land)|
+ 15 cards in the sample decks (6 Commons, 4 Uncommons, 5 Rares)
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
- 1 Set details
- 2 Cycles
- 3 Card comparisons
- 4 Notable cards
- 5 Preconstructed decks
- 6 Core set changes
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Set details[edit | edit source]
|“||Hunt Bigger Game||”|
Magic 2015 contains 269 cards (101 Commons, 80 Uncommons, 53 Rares, 15 Mythic Rares, 20 Basic Land). WotC changed the default from 60 uncommons to 80 uncommons for large sets as it makes limited play better. The default of large sets moving forward would be 269. An additional 15 cards appear in the sample decks. Magic 2015 is strongly integrated with its digital counterpart, Duels of the Planeswalkers. The set features a black / green version of the planeswalker Garruk and the "You Make The Card"-card Waste Not. The set also features a new card face with a special Magic font ("Beleren"), a holofoil stamp, revamped collector info and a decreased border size. The Magic logo for this set is colored black. The returning mechanic is convoke.
Magic 2015 introduced a templating change to cards that set a creature's power and toughness to a specific value. The term "base power and toughness" makes it clearer that other continuous effects that modify power and toughness, such as the ones created by Titanic Growth or a +1/+1 counter, apply after the creature's power and toughness are changed.
Magic Story[edit | edit source]
|Title||Author||Release Date||Setting (plane)||Featuring|
|Nissa, Worldwaker||Kelly Digges||2014-06-25||Zendikar||Nissa Revane|
|Veil of Deceit||James Wyatt||2014-07-02||Shandalar||Liliana Vess, Kurkesh, Chain Veil|
|The Bard and the Biologist||Matt Knicl||2014-07-09||Shandalar||Jalira, Yisan, Sliver Hivelord|
|The Hunter Cannot Pity||Jennifer Clarke Wilkes||2014-07-16||Innistrad, Esper||Vronos, Avacyn, Garruk|
|Ajani's Vengeance||Tom LaPille||2014-07-23||Theros||Ajani|
|Comin' Through!||Kelly Digges||2014-07-30||Unknown plane||Hot Soup|
|Dreams of the Damned||Nik Davidson||2014-08-06||Zendikar||Ob Nixilis|
|The Lunarch's Journal||Colin Kawakami||2014-08-13||Innistrad||Dovid, Gryta, Avacyn|
|Monster||Ken Troop||2014-08-20||Shandalar||Garruk, Jace Beleren, 'Icy'|
Designer credits[edit | edit source]
|George Fan||Designer of Plants vs. Zombies||Genesis Hydra|
|Penny Arcade||Penny Arcade webcomic, creators of PAX||Avarice Amulet|
|Markus Persson||Creator of Minecraft, founder of Mojang||Aggressive Mining|
|Richard Garriot||Creator of the Ultima series||Shield of the Avatar|
|David Sirlin||Designer on Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Yomi||Master of Predicaments|
|Rob Pardo||Chief Creative Officer at Blizzard, lead designer of World of Warcraft||Xathrid Slyblade|
|Isaiah Cartwright||Lead game designer for Guild Wars 2||Warden of the Beyond|
|Justin Gary||Designer of Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer and Solforge
Winner of Pro Tour Houston 2002, National Team Championship in Worlds 2003
|Stone Librande||Lead designer of Diablo 3, creative director of SimCity||Goblin Kaboomist|
|Brian Fargo||Founder of Interplay Entertainment and InXile Entertainment||Yisan, the Wanderer Bard|
|Mike Neumann||Gearbox Software, creative director on Borderlands||Chasm Skulker|
|James Ernest||Owner and lead designer for Cheapass Games||Hot Soup|
|Edmund McMillen||Indie designer of Super Meat Boy, featured in Indie Game: The Movie||Cruel Sadist|
|Brad Muir||Game designer at Double Fine Productions, project lead on Iron Brigade||Ob Nixilis, Unshackled|
|The Magic community||Playing Magic||Waste Not|
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Magic 2015 is sold in booster packs, Intro packs, a fat pack, the new clash pack (which is a 2-Player Starter Set) and the M15 Deck Builder's Toolkit. The boosters featured art work from Ajani Steadfast, Jace, the Living Guildpact, Nightfire Giant, Soul of Shandalar and Nissa, Worldwaker. The prerelease was July 12–13, 2014, the magic online release was on July 28, 2014 and the Game Day was August 9–10, 2014. The set was promoted at the website www.huntbiggergame.com
Prerelease[edit | edit source]
There are five prerelease packs, one for each color. Each comes with a seeded booster pack that corresponds with that color. When registering for the Prerelease tournament, each player chooses one. The seeded booster pack will assist players in building a deck by providing a starting point in their chosen color. Each seeded booster pack contains a premium promo card, which players may include in their tournament decks. Each prerelease pack comes with a oversized challenge card, Garruk the Slayer, which is a key component of Magic 2015's experience design (designed by Ethan Fleischer and Gavin Verhey). The prerelease pack further contains 5 regular booster packs, 1 activity insert, 1 Spindown life counter and 3 Wolf tokens. One player plays his or her Prerelease deck as normal. This player always goes first. The other player plays as Garruk. Garruk starts at 20 loyalty, and can activate one loyalty ability each turn. Garruk can be attacked and if his loyalty reaches 0, he loses. But if Garruk's horde of Wolves drops the player to 0, then Garruk wins. The oversized Garruk Planeswalker card can't be returned to its owner's hand or otherwise removed.
Promotional cards[edit | edit source]
- Prerelease: one of five according to the chosen color: Resolute Archangel, Mercurial Pretender, Indulgent Tormentor, Siege Dragon or Phytotitan
- Launch promo: In Garruk's Wake
- Game Day: full-art Reclamation Sage
- Game Day (Top 8): full-art Chief Engineer
- Buy-a-Box: Goblin Rabblemaster
Tokens/Emblems[edit | edit source]
- 1/1 Sliver creature for Sliver Hive
- 1/1 Soldier creature for First Response and Raise the Alarm
- 1/1 Spirit creature with flying for Spirit Bonds and Triplicate Spirits
- 1/1 Squid creature with islandwalk for Chasm Skulker and Coral Barrier
- 3/3 Beast creature with deathtouch for Garruk, Apex Predator
- 2/2 Zombie creature for Necromancer's Stockpile and Waste Not
- 2/2 Dragon creature with flying and “: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn” for Brood Keeper
- 1/1 Goblin creature for Goblin Rabblemaster
- 3/3 Beast creature for Feral Incarnation and Soul of Zendikar
- 1/1 Insect creature with flying and deathtouch for Hornet Nest and Hornet Queen
- */* Treefolk Warrior creature with “This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Forests you control” for Kalonian Twingrove
- Artifact named Land Mine with “, Sacrifice this artifact: This artifact deals 2 damage to target attacking creature without flying” for Goblin Kaboomist
- Emblem for Ajani Steadfast
- Emblem for Garruk, Apex Predator
Sample decks[edit | edit source]
The Magic 2015 Core Set comes with five thirty-card sample decks. Each sample deck has several cards numbered 270 and higher that do not appear in Magic 2015 booster packs. They include classics like Serra Angel, Sengir Vampire and Mahamoti Djinn. These 15 cards are legal for tournament play in any format that includes the Magic 2015 core set. The Deck Builder's Toolkit 2015 contains a single copy of card numbers 270 and 272-284, and two copies of card number 271 Divine Verdict.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Magic 2015 has ten cycles:
Card comparisons[edit | edit source]
Functional reprints[edit | edit source]
- Krenko's Enforcer is a near-functional reprint of Skirk Shaman from Planar Chaos, save for creature type.
- Shaman of Spring is a functional reprint of Striped Bears from Weatherlight, save for creature type.
Colorshifted[edit | edit source]
Strictly better[edit | edit source]
- Crowd's Favor is strictly better than Kindled Fury.
- Reclamation Sage is strictly better than Setessan Starbreaker.
- Sungrace Pegasus is strictly better than Armored Pegasus.
Strictly worse[edit | edit source]
- Carrion Crow is strictly worse than Screeching Bat.
- Festergloom is strictly worse than Loss (Profit//Loss).
- Marked by Honor is strictly worse than Vow of Duty.
- Nimbus of the Isles is strictly worse than Adarkar Windform, Air Servant, Battleground Geist, Cerulean Wyvern, Chasm Drake, Cloudheath Drake, Ethersworn Adjudicator, Faerie Invaders, Frostwind Invoker, Phantom Monster, Shinen of Flight's Wings, Spire Monitor, Vigilant Drake, and Voyager Drake.
- Statute of Denial is strictly worse than Dismiss.
- Tyrant's Machine is strictly worse than Crown of Empires and Trip Noose.
Notable cards[edit | edit source]
- Ensoul Artifact saw some tournament play thanks to its ability to give potentially a 5/5 beater at turn two.
- The Chain Veil is a flavorful artifact referencing to the Chain Veil that lets your planeswalkers play two loyalty abilities in a turn.
- Reclamation Sage: anti-artifact\enchantment creature used in sideboard in several formats.
- Goblin Rabblemaster: Saw tournament play and still sees play in some modern sideboard.
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
Intro packs[edit | edit source]
|Intro pack name||Colors included||Foil rare|
|Price of Glory||W||B||Resolute Archangel|
|Hit the Ground Running||U||G||Mercurial Pretender|
|Infernal Intervention||B||R||Indulgent Tormentor|
|Flames of the Dragon||U||R||Siege Dragon|
|Will of the Masses||W||G||Phytotitan|
Clash pack[edit | edit source]
Core set changes[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Printed on the card frame.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 6, 2014). "Announcing Magic 2015". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 06, 2014). "Why does Magic 2015 have 269 cards instead of the usual 249?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Aaron Forsythe (June 23, 2014). "Magic 2015 — It's In There". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (date). "Days of Core, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (June 30, 2014). "The Hunter". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ethan Fleischer (September 30, 2013). "You Made the Card!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe (January 06, 2014). "From the Director's Chair: 2013". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 23, 2014). "Days of Core, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (July 25, 2014). "Developing Convoking". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (July 7, 2014). "Magic 2015 Core Set release notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (April 16, 2014). "Designer Cards in Magic 2015". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Shawn Main (June 30, 2014). "Working with Some of the Best Minds in Gaming". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (March 05, 2014). "Introducing M15's Clash Pack". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (June 24, 2014). "Magic 2015 Packaging". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (July 7, 2014). "Magic 2015 Prerelease Primer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (June 22, 2014). "Win the Ultimate Trophy". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (July 1, 2014). "Promos, Packaging, and Promos Some More". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (July 2, 2014). "Magic 2015 tokens". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (June 13, 2014). "Magic 2015 Sample Decks". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Marshall Sutcliffe (July 2, 2014). "Setting Up the Paragons". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (July 4, 2014). "Magic 2015 Wrap-Up". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (June 27, 2014). "Making Mana". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (July 9, 2014). "Magic 2015 Intro Pack Decklists". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (July 7, 2014). "Magic 2015 Clash Pack". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- Hunt Bigger Game, Magic 2015 trailer
- John Dale Beety (July 9, 2014). "Magic 2015 Core Set Flavor Thoughts". StarCityGames.