Doug Beyer (lead),|
Zac Hill (lead),|
Mark L. Gottlieb,
|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||July 13, 2012|
or ability words
(101 Common, 60 Uncommon, 53 Rare, 15 Mythics, 20 Lands)
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Set details[edit | edit source]
Magic 2013 contains 249 cards (101 Common, 60 Uncommon, 53 Rare, 15 Mythic, 20 Basic Lands), including randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. The returning mechanic for this Core Set was Exalted. Magic 2013 was the first Core Set to contain zero cards that had appeared in every core set from Alpha on (excluding the basic lands). It was also the first Core Set after Alpha to feature original art on (some of) the basic lands.
Magic 2013 is largely built around Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, which became the first multicolored card to be included in a core set. The set also includes a cycle of Legendary creatures  (only the second time a core set included Legendary creatures (the first was Tenth Edition) and a cycle of Planeswalkers. Ajani Goldmane  and Liliana Vess received new cards. Magic 2013 is tightly incorporated into into the digital Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 which contained a theme deck for each Planeswalker and Legendary creature, and featured those characters as opponents and Nicol Bolas as the final boss. Due to the close prospective release dates, "Duels 2013" was pushed as the introductory set, while Magic 2013 itself was to be the Magic "showcase", having many high-end, high-impact spells.
Flavor[edit | edit source]
|“||Face a Greater Challenge||”|
The set's flavor is an amalgamation of several different planes in the universe. Krenko and Yeva hail from Ravnica, Odric from Innistrad, Nefarox from the Grixis portion of a reunited Alara, while Talrand, Xathrid Gorgon, War Priest of Thune and the equipment cycle of Rings refer to the plane of Shandalar.
Magic Story[edit | edit source]
|Title||Author||Release Date||Setting (plane)||Featuring|
|Odric, Master Tactitian||Jenna Helland||2012-06-27||Innistrad||Odric, Garruk|
|Xathrid Gorgon||Jenna Helland||2012-07-04||Shandalar||Xathrid Gorgon|
|Chronomaton||Ryan Miller||2012-07-11||Unknown plane||Chronomaton|
|Krenko, Mob Boss||Jenna Helland||2012-07-18||Ravnica||Krenko|
|Threadbare||Jenna Helland||2012-07-23||Unknown plane||Stuffy Doll|
|Talrand, Sky Summoner||Ken Troop||2012-07-30||Shandalar||Talrand|
|The Stonekiller||Jenna Helland||2012-08-08||Alara||Lia|
|The Stonekiller, Part 2||Jenna Helland||2012-08-15||Alara||Lia, Nira|
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Magic 2013 was is sold in 16-card and 6-card booster packs, five Intro packs, two event decks, Booster Battle Pack"s, a fat pack and a Deck Builder's Toolkit. The packaging of the set is centered around Bolas' iconic feature, his warped horns. The regular boosters feature art from Liliana of the Dark Realms, Augur of Bolas, Spiked Baloth, Mindclaw Shaman and Ajani, Caller of the Pride. The 6-card booster features Diabolic Revelation. With each copy of Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 a six card Magic 2013 sampler could be obtained.
Prerelease Events took place July 7–8, 2012  and Launch Parties took place July 13–15, 2012 (conflicing with an earlier report of "no more Launch Parties"). Game Day took place on August 4–5, 2012. The Prerelease card was Xathrid Gorgon, the Launch promo was Staff of Nin and the Game Day card was a full-art Mwonvuli Beast Tracker (the Top 8 received a full-art foil Magmaquake). A new promo card was introduced for Core set league participants: received an alternate art Goblin creature token. The Buy-a-Box card was Cathedral of War.
Tokens/Emblem[edit | edit source]
- 2/2 Cat produced by Ajani, Caller of the Pride.
- 0/1 Goat produced by Trading Post.
- 1/1 Soldier produced by Attended Knight, Captain of the Watch and Captain's Call.
- 2/2 Drake with flying produced by Talrand, Sky Summoner and Talrand's Invocation.
- 2/2 Zombie produced by Vile Rebirth.
- 1/1 Goblin produced by Krenko, Mob Boss and Krenko's Command.
- 4/4 Hellion produced by Hellion Crucible.
- 3/3 Beast produced by Garruk, Primal Hunter and Thragtusk.
- 1/1 Saproling produced by Fungal Sprouting.
- 6/6 Wurm produced by Garruk, Primal Hunter.
- Emblem for Liliana of the Dark Realms
Sample decks[edit | edit source]
The Magic 2013 Core Set came with five thirty-card sample decks.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Magic 2013 has eight cycles:
|Planeswalkers||Ajani, Caller of the Pride||Jace, Memory Adept||Liliana of the Dark Realms||Chandra, the Firebrand||Garruk, Primal Hunter||Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker|
|There are six mythic rare Planeswalker cards in the set.|
|Planeswalkers cards||Ajani's Sunstriker||Jace's Phantasm||Liliana's Shade||Chandra's Fury||Garruk's Packleader||Disciple of Bolas |
Augur of Bolas
|Each Planeswalker has one card named after them. Nicol Bolas received two such cards.|
|Planeswalkers hallmarks||Healer of the Pride||Mind Sculpt||Veilborn Ghoul||Flames of the Firebrand||Primal Huntbeast||Mindclaw Shaman |
Gem of Becoming
|Each Planeswalker has one card related to its personality and actions. Nicol Bolas also received two such cards.|
|Legendary creatures||Odric, Master Tactician||Talrand, Sky Summoner||Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis||Krenko, Mob Boss||Yeva, Nature's Herald|
|Five Legendary creatures.|
|Cards related to the legendary creatures||Crusader of Odric||Talrand's Invocation||Servant of Nefarox||Krenko's Command||Yeva's Forcemage|
|Five cards related to Legendary creatures.|
|Magic rings of Shandalar||Ring of Thune||Ring of Evos Isle||Ring of Xathrid||Ring of Valkas||Ring of Kalonia|
|Uncommon Equipment that work best for a given color.|
|Sedge creatures||Prized Elephant||Arctic Aven||Harbor Bandit||Crimson Muckwader||Flinthoof Boar|
|These five uncommon creatures, calling back to Sedge Troll (Crimson Muckwader is a Sedge Troll with slightly different costs and 1 less toughness), get +1/+1 if you control a basic land of the appropriate allied color and can gain an ability for a payment in that allied color.|
|Allied colorcheck lands||Glacial Fortress||Drowned Catacomb||Dragonskull Summit||Rootbound Crag||Sunpetal Grove|
|Each of these rare dual lands comes into play tapped unless you control a land with one of the appropriate types.(Reprinted from Magic 2010.)|
Pairs[edit | edit source]
Magic 2013 has two mirrored pairs.
- Dark Favor and Divine Favor are both common Auras with enchant creature that give a mirrored bonus to the enchanted creature's power/toughness and are illustrated by Allen Williams.
- The white Knight of Glory and the black Knight of Infamy are both uncommon Human Knights with with a mana cost of M, power/toughness of 2/1, exalted and protection from the opposite color.
Functional reprints[edit | edit source]
- Battleflight Eagle, functional reprint of Welkin Guide from Shards of Alara, save for creature type
- Faerie Invaders, functional reprint of Spire Monitor from New Phyrexia, save for creature type
- Flames of the Firebrand, functional reprint of Arc Lightning from Urza's Saga
- Guardian Lions, functional reprint of Border Patrol from Judgment, save for creature type
- Krenko's Command, functional reprint of Dragon Fodder from Shards of Alara
- Warclamp Mastiff, functional reprint of Tundra Wolves from Legends, save for creature type
Notable cards[edit | edit source]
- Thragtusk and Thundermaw Hellkite are two powerful creatures that saw some tournament play printed for the first time in Magic 2013.
- Master of the Pearl Trident is a fixed version of Lord of Atlantis, capable of boost only your merfolk. It also see tournament play in merfolk decks in Modern.
- Omniscience is a combo enabler, sometimes combined with Enter the Infinite from Gatecrash.
- Worldfire is one of the most powerful sweepers ever printed.
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
Intro packs[edit | edit source]
|Intro pack name||Colors included||Foil rare|
|Path to Victory||W||U||Odric, Master Tactician|
|Depths of Power||U||R||Talrand, Sky Summoner|
|Sole Domination||W||B||Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis|
|Mob Rule||R||G||Krenko, Mob Boss|
|Wild Rush||B||G||Yeva, Nature's Herald|
Event decks[edit | edit source]
Core set changes[edit | edit source]
- Notable changes
- Magic 2013 is the first core set to have a spell that specifically destroys an equipment - Turn to Slag.
- Cycle of Titans: Sun Titan, Frost Titan, Grave Titan, Inferno Titan and Primeval Titan.
- This is the first core set without a cycle of "Lucky charms" artifacts (or the original cycle): Angel's Feather, Demon's Horn, Dragon's Claw, Kraken's Eye and Wurm's Tooth.
- Due to the impending return of a multicolor block, the hoser cycle of Celestial Purge, Flashfreeze, Deathmark, Combust and Autumn's Veil is absent as to not make such an impact on allied-multicolor decks.
- Notably, this set does not include Giant Spider, before this was the only card that had been in every core set (excluding basic lands).
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Product info
- Magic Arcana (January 3, 2012). "Announcing Magic 2013". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Zac Hill (July 27, 2012). "Attack!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (June 13, 2012). "Core Set Survivor: Magic 2013 Edition". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (July 10, 2012). "New Land for Magic 2013". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 25, 2012). "Core, the Merrier". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (July 20, 2012). "Tracking Down the Legends". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (June 21, 2012). "Planeswalker Videos". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Zac Hill (July 06, 2012). "The Cards of Magic 2013, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Zac Hill (June 22, 2012). "Dueling Priorities". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (June 25, 2012). "Magic 2013: Coming Home to Flavor". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (August 27, 2012). "Bolas's Minions". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (June 19, 2012). "Magic 2013 Packaging". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (June 28, 2012). "More Magic 2013 Packaging". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (June 18, 2012). "Magic 2013 Boosters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike McArtor (July 02, 2012). "Magic 2013 Prerelease Primer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (June 20, 2012). "Magic 2013 Promo Cards". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (June 26, 2012). "Magic 2013 Tokens". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (July 02, 2012). "Where's That Goat?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (August 07, 2012). "The Rings of Magic 2013". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike Flores (July 26, 2012). "Exalted Week 5x5: The Past and Future". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (July 03, 2012). "Magic 2013 Intro Pack Decklists". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (July 24, 2012). "Magic 2013 Event Deck Decklists". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]