Magic: The Gathering (movies)
For a long time, a movie about Magic: The Gathering has been an object of speculation and wishful thinking. Through the years there have been several initiatives.
Wizards of the Coast[edit | edit source]
Universal[edit | edit source]
In February 2008, Hasbro struck an agreement with Universal to produce at least four films derived from seven games and toys, including Magic: The Gathering. The arrangement was touted as a significant one for Universal, which had fewer well-known franchises than rival studios. By 2012, however, the project was halted in development.
Walt Disney[edit | edit source]
The 2010 Disney movie The Sorcerer's Apprentice had a Magic tie-in. One of the characters in the movie is Drake Stone, played by Toby Kebbell, who is sponsored by Wizards of the Coast. He's such a celebrity that in the movie he even appears on cards. Instead of just mocking up regular cards, Magic R&D was called upon to make new cards for Drake Stone's appearance. They even made him a Planeswalker.
Fox[edit | edit source]
Twentieth Century Fox and Hasbro joined forces to make a series of films based upon Magic: The Gathering. Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Days of Future Past), whose Genre Films banner is based on the Fox Lot, will serve as the franchise’s creative steward and produce in close partnership with Hasbro.
Execs Kira Goldberg and Ryan Jones were instrumental in the acquisition and will shepherd the films for Fox. Daniel Persitz will oversee for Hasbro. Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner and Stephen Davis and Wizards of the Coast president Greg Leeds will act in production capacities.
First movie[edit | edit source]
Aditya Sood and Josh Feldman, Kinberg's key execs at his Genre Films production shingle, will act as executive producers on the first movie.
Bryan Cogman, a producer, story editor and writer on the HBO drama Games of Thrones, has been brought in to perform a rewrite based on Kinsberg's screenplay for the first movie.
WotC has put together a team of four people to interface with the people making the movie to help ensure that it stays true to the Magic brand. Mark Rosewater and Doug Beyer are part of the team, and they are very much actively engaged with the project. Rosewater stated that WotC in general doesn't want a movie with people from Earth traveling to Magic’s worlds.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concentrate (The Sorcerer's Apprentice)
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (February 22, 2016.) “Untold Tales”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Candy Land (May 13, 2008), More Hasbro Movies Coming, IGN.com
- Ben Fritz (January 30, 2012), Universal-Hasbro deal fizzles with departure of 'Stretch Armstrong', Los Angeles Times
- Mark Rosewater. (June 20, 2016.) “25 More Random Things About Magic”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (July 12, 2010.) “The Sorcerer's Apprentice”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (July 13, 2010.) “The Sorcerer's Apprentice”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Movies press announcement
- John Dale Beety (January 20, 2014) Magic: The Movie & Coin?, www.starcitygames.com
- Borys Kit (January 13, 2014) Fox to Bring 'Magic: The Gathering' to the Big Screen (Exclusive), Hollywood Reporter
- Mike Fleming Jr (June 12, 2014), ‘Game Of Thrones’ Scribe Bryan Cogman Takes On ‘Magic The Gathering’ For Fox, Deadline
- Mark Rosewater. (August 21, 2014.) "Can we get a review of all known info on the magic movie?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (December 8, 2014.) “Say When”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (July 14, 2017.) "Is there any particular reason that Earth is decidedly NOT part of the multiverse?", Blogatog, Tumblr.