Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Magic: The Gathering (TV series)
Magic: The Gathering is a planned animation series based on the TCG Magic: The Gathering, that was announced in June, 2019. The series is to be released in 2020 on Netflix and is created by Wizards of the Coast, and Hasbro’s Allspark Animation.
Early attempts[edit | edit source]
As early as 2001, a mini-series for television was considered by Wizards of the Coast, and Mark Rosewater wrote a story treatment. In 2008, the plans were shelved when an agreement was struck with Universal for a Magic: The Gathering movie. However, neither this movie, nor subsequent initiatives led to concrete products.
Production of the 2020 series[edit | edit source]
Joe and Anthony Russo (Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame) will executive produce the series. The Russos will oversee the creation of an all new storyline and expand on the stories of the Planeswalkers.
Magic: The Gathering will feature creative talent from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Batman: The Animated Series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Firefly, Agent Carter, Ultimate Spider-Man, and The Lego Movies.
Octopie will oversee production of the series, with Todd Makurath, Eric Calderon, and Dave Newberg serving as producers, and Mike Larocca and Isaac Krauss serving as executive producers. Henry Gilroy (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and Jose Molina (The Tick, Agent Carter) will serve as lead writers and co-executive producers on the series, and Yoriaki Mochizuki will serve as supervising director and co-executive producer.
Animation on the series will be done by Bardel Entertainment.
Setting[edit | edit source]
Mark Rosewater has repeatedly stated that Wizards of the Coast don’t want a movie or TV show with people from Earth traveling to Magic’s worlds.
Canonicity[edit | edit source]
According to the producers, the story, worlds and characters are going to be true to their preexisting spirit, but the TV Series is going to have its own continuity space similar to how other franchises have done that with adventures in a new medium. In other words, the TV series won't be canon.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Netflix and the Russo Brothers Join Forces With Wizardss off the Coast For First of Its Kind Animated Series Magic: The Gathering.. Netflix (June 3, 2019).
- Mark Rosewater (February 22, 2016). "Untold Tales". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 14, 2017). "Is there any particular reason that Earth is decidedly NOT part of the multiverse?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Jennifer Maas (July 18, 2019). "Russo Bros’ ‘Magic: The Gathering’ Series Will ‘Be True’ to Card Game’s Story – But Carve Out Its Own Continuity". The Wrap.
- Mark Rosewater (July 19, 2019). "Will the Russo brothers Magic show share a canon with the card game or just be based on it?". Blogatog. Tumblr.