|Introduced||Rise of the Eldrazi|
|Last Used||Modern Horizons|
|Reminder Text||Level up [cost] ([Cost]: Put a level counter on this. Level up only as a sorcery.)|
28% 28% 16% 12% 16%
The ability can only be activated anytime the player could cast a sorcery. When the ability resolves a level counter is put on the creature and its level is increased to the number of level counters on the card.
When the creature reaches a certain level, its power and toughness changes and the creature may gain additional abilities. For example, Knight of Cliffhaven starts out as a 2/2 creature for . When leveled up at least once for , it becomes a 2/3 creature with flying. If it was leveled up at least four times, it becomes a 4/4 creature with flying and vigilance.
Creatures with level up have a different card frame in a similar manner as Flip cards and planeswalkers were printed with a different card face. The textbox is separated into the strips with the top strip showing the Level up ability with a P/T-box on the right showing the base power/toughness. On the stripes below it are arrow-like boxes on the left showing the levels a change in the creature occurs with P/T-boxes on the right. In between the box designating the level and the P/T-box is space for additional abilities if the creature gains any.
For example Knight of Cliffhaven gains Flying when she becomes level 1. Also, her power/toughness change from 2/2 to 2/3 when she becomes level 1. Not all creatures with Level Up gain abilities and not all creatures' power/toughness change. Enclave Cryptologist is an example of a creature with Level Up that does not have a power/toughness change.
- Level Up
- A keyword ability that can put level counters on a creature. See rule 702.86, “Level Up.”
- 702.86. Level Up
- 702.86a Level up is an activated ability. “Level up [cost]” means “[Cost]: Put a level counter on this permanent. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.”
- 702.86b Each card printed with a level up ability is known as a leveler card. It has a nonstandard layout and includes two level symbols that are themselves keyword abilities. See rule 710, “Leveler Cards.”
Beastbreaker of Bala Ged
Creature — Human Warrior
Level up (: Put a level counter on this. Level up only as a sorcery.)
LEVEL 1-3: 4/4
LEVEL 4+: 6/6, Trample
- Level Up was featured as rules card 1 of 5 in the Rise of the Eldrazi set.
- Level Up was received with mixed reactions. The layout confused a lot of players.
- A Planeswalker's Primer to Rise of the Eldrazi: Levelers (Video). YouTube.
- Mark Rosewater (November 21, 2016). "Storm Scale: Zendikar and Battle for Zendikar". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille (May 14, 2010). "Leveling Up". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (May 31, 2019). "Modern Horizons Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 07, 2015). "How was Level Up received?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 07, 2015). "Do you think that the mechanic has any chance of returning?". Blogatog. Tumblr.