|Last Used||Commander 2018|
|Reminder Text||[Type] Landwalk (This creature can't be blocked as long as defending player controls a [type].)|
40 swampwalk cards|
5% 62.5% 25% 2.5% 2.5% 2.5%
31 islandwalk cards
61.3% 3.2% 22.6% 3.2% 6.5% 3.2%
26 forestwalk cards
3.8% 3.8% 76.9% 7.7% 3.8% 3.8%
17 mountainwalk cards
11.8% 82.4% 5.9%
4 plainswalk cards
50% 25% 25%
2 legendary landwalk cards
1 snow swampwalk card
1 snow forestwalk card
1 snow landwalk card
1 nonbasic landwalk card
Description[edit | edit source]
Landwalk was introduced in Alpha. The keyword always appeared in conjunction with a subtype or supertype to denote the appropriate characteristic, and in most cases did not actually appear as "Landwalk", but instead "Islandwalk", "Desertwalk", "Snow Forestwalk" and so on. "Denimwalk" was used in Unglued. Exceptions to the rule were "Nonbasic landwalk" (Dryad Sophisticate, Trailblazer's Boots), "Legendary landwalk" (Livonya Silone, Ayumi, the Last Visitor), and "Snow landwalk" (Zombie Musher).
Typically, green could get any type of landwalk, while red, black and blue could get the landwalk associated with their respective basic land (mountainwalk, swampwalk, and islandwalk, respectively). "Plainswalk" has always been the least used basic landwalk type (only 5 cards) because it's not a great fit for its color mechanically, nor has particularly strong flavor. Also, the fact that "planeswalk" became an important concept in the game made "plainswalk" confusing.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A generic term for a group of keyword abilities that restrict whether a creature may be blocked. See rule 702.14, “Landwalk.”
- 702.14. Landwalk
- 702.14a Landwalk is a generic term that appears within an object’s rules text as “[type]walk,” where [type] is usually a subtype, but can be the card type land, any land type, any supertype, or any combination thereof.
- 702.14b Landwalk is an evasion ability.
- 702.14c A creature with landwalk can’t be blocked as long as the defending player controls at least one land with the specified subtype (as in “islandwalk”), with the specified supertype (as in “legendary landwalk”), without the specified supertype (as in “nonbasic landwalk”), or with both the specified supertype and the specified subtype (as in “snow swampwalk”). (See rule 509, “Declare Blockers Step.”)
- 702.14d Landwalk abilities don’t “cancel” one another.
Example: If a player controls a snow Forest, that player can’t block an attacking creature with snow forestwalk even if they also control a creature with snow forestwalk.
- 702.14e Multiple instances of the same kind of landwalk on the same creature are redundant.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Bear
Islandwalk (This creature can't be blocked as long as defending player controls an Island.)
Cards that grant Landwalk[edit | edit source]
- Piracy Charm
- Fishliver Oil
- Lord of Atlantis (other Merfolk creatures)
- Master of the Pearl Trident (other Merfolk creatures)
- Part Water
- Sandals of Abdallah
- War Barge
- Filth (if it's in your graveyard and you control a Swamp)
- Funeral Charm
- Leshrac's Rite
- Zombie Master (other Zombie creatures)
- Dryad's Favor
- Eladamri, Lord of Leaves (other Elf creatures)
- Elvish Champion (other Elf creatures)
- Nature's Cloak
- Hidden Path
- Lumbering Satyr
Landwalk of the chosen type
- Concerted Effort (if you control a creature with that landwalk ability)
Anti-landwalk[edit | edit source]
Anti-landwalk cards allow creatures with a given landwalk ability to be blocked as though they didn't have that ability. The cards are listed below:
- Crevasse (mountainwalk)
- Deadfall (forestwalk)
- Great Wall (plainswalk)
- Quagmire (swampwalk)
- Undertow (islandwalk)
- These five enchantments form a cycle of landwalk hosers in Legends
- The Aura Street Savvy permits enchanted creature block creatures with landwalk abilities as though they didn't have those abilities.
- The World Enchantment Mystic Decree causes all creatures to lose islandwalk.
- Staff of the Ages (any landwalk abilities)
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (June 8, 2015). "Evergreen Eggs & Ham". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (May 14, 2017). "Do you have any trivia on plainswalkers (note the spelling) for me?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (May 18, 2015). "Modern Mailbag". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (April 20, 2017). "Is nonbasic landwalk retired too? Or other variations?". Blogatog. Tumblr.