Local game shops sell Magic and other TCGs, and may for example also have miniatures, D&D and comics. They are the venue for the lower leves of Organized Play. Prereleases provide a casual play atmosphere and an enjoyable atmosphere to get a preview of new cards. Friday Night Magic (FNM) enables players to compete for special foil DCI cards and other prizes. These tournaments are mostly for amateurs and are a good place to start your Magic-playing career, but are only available at stores and clubs with Wizards of the Coast Premiere status. These are supported by Wizards Play Network
In-store play program[edit | edit source]
- New Player: No knowledge of how to play Magic.
- Interested Player: Basic understanding of Magic, ready to learn more about strategy and game play.
- Engaged Player: Competence in Magic game play, eager to invest in the game on a regular basis.
- Super Fan: Dedicated to Magic for the long-term
Ideal event path[edit | edit source]
|Event||Primary audience||Secondary audience||When|
|Magic Open House||New||Interested, Engaged||Saturday prior to each set's prerelease.|
|Magic League||Interested||New, Engaged||Four successive weeks, starting the Monday after each set's release.|
|Friday Night Magic||Interested, Engaged||New||Weekly on Fridays.|
|Prerelease||Interested, Engaged||New||Weekend before release|
|Draft Weekend||Engaged||Interested||Weekend after release|
|Standard Showdown||Engaged||Interested||Eight consecutive weekends after release|
|Store Championship||Engaged||Eight weeks after release|
References[edit | edit source]
- Maria Bartholdi. (May 23, 2017.) “What's In Store? Owning Your Own LGS”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Chris Tulach. (July 16, 2017.) “In-Store Play Evolves”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (July 17, 2017.) “The July 17, 2017 Update”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (April 12, 2017). "The Ideal Event Path". Wizards Play Network