WPN supported activities[edit | edit source]
Local game shops can be the venue for the lower levels of Organized Play, supported by the Wizards Play Network (WPN). Prereleases provide a casual play atmosphere and an enjoyable atmosphere to get a preview of new cards. Friday Night Magic (FNM) enables players to compete for special foil DCI cards and other prizes. These tournaments are mostly for amateurs and are a good place to start your Magic-playing career, but are only available at stores and clubs with Wizards of the Coast Premiere status.
In-store play program[edit | edit source]
- New Player: No knowledge of how to play Magic.
- Interested Player: Basic understanding of Magic, ready to learn more about strategy and game play.
- Engaged Player: Competence in Magic game play, eager to invest in the game on a regular basis.
- Super Fan: Dedicated to Magic for the long-term
Ideal event path[edit | edit source]
|Event||Primary audience||Secondary audience||When|
|Magic Open House||New||Interested, Engaged||Saturday prior to each set's prerelease.|
|Magic League||Interested||New, Engaged||Four successive weeks, starting the Monday after each set's release.|
|Friday Night Magic||Interested, Engaged||New||Weekly on Fridays.|
|Prerelease||Interested, Engaged||New||Weekend before release|
|Draft Weekend||Engaged||Interested||Weekend after release|
|Standard Showdown||Engaged||Interested||Eight consecutive weekends after release|
|Store Championship||Engaged||Eight weeks after release|
Product path[edit | edit source]
With the expanded product mix that was introduced with Throne of Eldraine — Collector Boosters, Theme Boosters, and Brawl Decks especially — the ideal product path became less about player's experience level and more about the kind of experience the player wanted.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Maria Bartholdi (May 23, 2017). "What's In Store? Owning Your Own LGS". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Chris Tulach (July 16, 2017). "In-Store Play Evolves". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (July 17, 2017). "The July 17, 2017 Update". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (April 12, 2017). "The Ideal Event Path". Wizards Play Network
- WPN (September 16, 2019). "Magic's New Product Path, From Planeswalker Decks to Collector Boosters". Wizards Play Network.