Kessig is a province in the interior of Innistrad. It consists of rolling farmlands surrounded by dense, dark woods.
Kessig is a province in a perpetual autumn. The deep forests influence daily life heavily. The small human communities in agricultural villages, trappers and hunters groups live at risk in these woods, trying to make a living. Between the isolation and constant danger, most townsfolk here are wary of outsiders.
- The thick Ulvenwald Forest, also known as the "Misty Wood" isolates Kessig from neighboring provinces.
- The Natterknolls, rocky ridges and cliffs that flank the wooded valleys. Inhabiited by gibbering hermits and wicked witches.
- Gatstaf, a remote village near the forest on the lip of a deep crevasse. Known for coal mining and skilled leatherworkers.
- Gatstaf Grotto, location of a famous natural spring and an Avacynian altar. With the arrival of Emrakul, the grotto became host to a horror that devoured anyone who dared enter. The so-called 'Thing in the Grotto' was a monstrous many-headed creature that resembled both wurms and maggots, with characteristics of Eldrazi spawn as well.
- The Breakneck Ride, the main paths that lead into Kessig from the other provinces. Each crossway is fraught with peril, leading travelers through the Ulvenwald and over treacherous slopes, so those who make the journey do so at as brisk a pace as possible.
- Hairpin Road, winding down from Getander Pass in Stensia. Watched by Falkenrath vampires.
- Bower Passage, from Gavony straight into the heart of the Ulvenwald. Dryads and nature spirits are said to haunt the passage.
- Briar Bridge, from Nephalia. A thicket of thistles flanks the road. The road intersects an river, the path crosses over a covered wooden bridge.
- Lambholt. A farming village. The pastures near the town were once mingled with woods but the villagers chopped down all but a few trees to clear room for their farms. Werewolves continually terrorize the livestock and humans.
- Avabruck. Kessig's former provincial seat, now a ruin of wood and brick referred to as Hollowhenge.
- The Temple of Saint Raban, Avabruck's central cathedral. Shattered by the werewolves.
- Devils' Breach, a fissure that has opened in the earth. Far from the towns.
- Associated cards
- Quoted by Alena, trapper of Kessig
- Quoted by Halana, Kessig ranger
- Quoted by Raf Gyel of the Quiver of Kessig
- Referred to