Kaya is a white and black-aligned Planeswalker with a growing reputation as an accomplished ghost hunter. She is a confident, roguish duelist with the ability to become partially incorporeal, allowing her to slip through solid items and to touch and assassinate spirits. She acts as though she is driven by a desire for money, but often her sense of justice is greater than her desire for personal gain. It just happens to be convenient when her personal and financial ambitions align.
History[edit | edit source]
Homeplane[edit | edit source]
Kaya is descended from a noble lineage, though she and her kin had never stood on ceremony.
Fiora[edit | edit source]
Kaya initially appears on Fiora while taking an assassination contract for the ghost of Paliano nobleman Emilio Revari's mother. As she tangled with the spirit in its former home, she uncovered the reality that Emilio was directly responsible for his mother's death. Disgusted by this act of kinslaying, she ended her battle and led Emilio back into the house under the false pretense that the specter had been slain. Once the nobleman had been lured inside, Kaya revealed that she knew the extent of his crimes and left him to the wrath of his slain mother. With the Revari contract settled, she could now attend to a much larger payday. Her next job came through a contract from Marchesa to assassinate the ghostly King Brago. Utilizing her incorporeal powers, she successfully infiltrated Brago's dining room and plunged her rondel dagger into his spectral neck. In the aftermath of her triumph, Kaya was confronted by Brago's captain of the guard, Adriana. After several swings of Adriana's sword passed through Kaya's unharmed body, the ghost assassin retaliated with an elbow to the jaw. Kaya would leave Adriana otherwise unscathed, departing from the dining hall with remarks of Brago's tyranny.
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Kaya resurfaced on Ravnica, as part of the Orzhov Syndicate. Bolas hired her to kill the Obzedat and become guildmaster of Orzhov in exchange for him helping her "troubled family". Despite Teysa warning against it, Kaya has been freeing people from the debt they owe the guild, particularly the bound ghosts. On the other hand, she heightened the tithes on the population, until riots ensued.
Planes visited[edit | edit source]
In-game references[edit | edit source]
Quoted or referred to:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Kaya was created with the Bolas storyline in mind.
References[edit | edit source]
- Kaya, Ghost Assassin
- James Wyatt (January 2019). "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Ravnica'" . Wizards of the Coast
- Kelly Digges. (August 3, 2016.) "Laid to Rest", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Alison Luhrs. (August 10, 2016.) "Tyrants", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (December 17, 2018.) "Ravnica Allegiance Promos and Packaging", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Nicky Drayden. (February 20, 2019.) "The Ledger of Hidden Fortunes", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 3, 2019.) "Is there any trivia you can give us about Kaya's presence on Ravnica?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast. (August 4, 2016.) "“additional story contributions” credit for Monique Jones.", The Official Magic: The Gathering Tumblr, Tumblr.
- Monique Jones. (August 4, 2016.) "6 Questions You Might Have About Magic: The Gathering’s Kaya, Ghost Assassin Answered", Colorwebmag.com