Static (1st ability)|
Static (2nd ability)
|Introduced||Guilds of Ravnica|
|Last Used||Guilds of Ravnica|
|Reminder Text||Jump-start (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a card in addition to paying its other costs. Then exile this card.)|
40% 40% 20%
Jump-start is a keyword ability on instants and sorceries that allows the player to play the spell directly from their graveyard for the additional cost of discarding a card. It was introduced in Guilds of Ravnica for the Izzet League of Ravnica. The spell card is exiled when the spell leaves the stack.
Description[edit | edit source]
Jump-start is similar to Flashback, allowing you to cast the same spell twice. This is especially functional in the late game, when the additional cost can be paid with excess lands or other less valuable cards. Casting a spell with jump-start follows all the normal timing rules, so sorceries with jump-start are still limited to your main phases. A spell with jump-start that was cast from your graveyard can still be countered, and if it has targets, it won't do anything if all its targets disappear or otherwise become illegal.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- You must still follow any timing restrictions and permissions, including those based on the card's type. For instance, you can cast a sorcery using jump-start only when you could normally cast a sorcery.
- A spell cast using jump-start will always be exiled afterward, whether it resolves, is countered, or leaves the stack in some other way.
- If an effect allows you to pay an alternative cost rather than a spell's mana cost, you may pay that alternative cost when you jump-start a spell. You'll still discard a card as an additional cost to cast it.
- If a card with jump-start is put into your graveyard during your turn, you'll be able to cast it right away if it's legal to do so, before an opponent can take any actions.
Examples[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (September 10, 2018.) "Guild to Order, Part 1", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (September 20, 2018.) "Guilds of Ravnica Release Notes", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak. (September 4, 2018.) "Guilds of Ravnica Mechanics", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.