Description[edit | edit source]
All of the cards are foil, and for some cards it's the first available printing in foil. For many cards, the Judge Gift printing was the first time they were printed using the then-current (Eighth Edition onward) card frame, or original card frame for select cards that were printed originally with the new card frame.
Since 2000, the DCI symbol was used as expansion symbol for these cards. Each card also has a watermark in its foil. First a shooting star was used, but starting in 2004 this also became the DCI symbol. In 2011 both reverted to the shooting star.
As with most printings, cards are printed with the current Oracle rules wording at the time of the printing. Vindicate's 2013 printing marked the first time the same Judge Gift card was printed again, albeit with different artwork. Wasteland was repeated in the 2015 printing, and Vampiric Tutor was repeated in the 2018 printing.
Card list[edit | edit source]
Starting with Armageddon in 2004 and ending with the basic lands from 2014, all Judge Gift cards were printed with the Eighth Edition to Conspiracy card frame, unless otherwise noted. Starting with the 2015 promos, all cards were printed using the newest card frame (Magic 2015 onward), unless otherwise noted.
|Year||#||Code||Name||New foil||Alternate art||Notes|
|1998||Stroke of Genius|
|1999||Memory Lapse||Mailed gift.|
|2000||Counterspell||First use of the expansion symbol|
|2000||Vampiric Tutor||World Championships Brussels. No flavor text.|
|2001||Ball Lightning||US Nationals in Orlando. Alternate flavor text.|
|2001||Oath of Druids|
|2002||Hammer of Bogardan||Pro Tour Osaka.|
|2002||Tradewind Rider||Pro Tour Houston. Alternate flavor text.|
|2003||2/3||G03||Argothian Enchantress||Grand Prix Brussels.|
|2003||3/3||G03||Living Death||Pro Tour Yokohama.|
|2004||1/6||G04||Armageddon||Grand Prix Chicago. First use of the watermark|
|2004||3/6||G04||Time Warp||Grand Prix Chicago.|
|2004||4/6||G04||Phyrexian Negator||Grand Prix Chicago.|
|2004||5/6||G04||Deranged Hermit||Mailed gift|
|2004||6/6||G04||Hermit Druid||Grand Prix Chicago.|
|2005||2/4||G05||Regrowth||Pro Tour Honolulu.|
|2005||3/4||G05||Sol Ring||Pro Tour London.|
|2005||4/4||G05||Mishra's Factory||Pro Tour Los Angeles. Autumn version.|
|2006||1/4||G06||Exalted Angel||World Championships in Yokohama.|
|2006||2/4||G06||Grim Lavamancer||World Championships in Yokohama.|
|2006||3/4||G06||Meddling Mage||Pro Tour Charleston.|
|2006||4/4||G06||Pernicious Deed||World Championships in Yokohama.|
|2007||5/5||G07||Decree of Justice|
|2008||4/5||G08||Goblin Piledriver||Pro Tour Kuala Lumpur.|
|2008||5/5||G08||Living Wish||First widely released in 2009.|
|2009||1/10||G09||Dark Ritual||In 2009, judges were urged to participate in events and help build new retailers running FNM's.|
|2009||2/10||G09||Maze of Ith|
|2009||4/10||G09||Survival of the Fittest|
|2009||6/10||G09||Bloodstained Mire||As a special offer to activate the judges, the Onslaught fetchlands became available.|
|2010||7/8||G10||Wheel of Fortune|
|2011||2/8||G11||Sword of Fire and Ice||Old (pre-Modern) card frame|
|2011||4/8||G11||Entomb||Officially released in 2014, after being said it was 'unlikely this promo card would ever see the light of day'.|
Delay was likely due to Premium Deck Series: Graveborn containing a foil Entomb and also being released in 2011.
|2011||5/8||G11||Mana Crypt||No watermark. First use of the shooting star as expansion symbol.|
|2011||6/8||G11||Dark Confidant||Old card frame. No watermark.|
|2011||7/8||G11||Doubling Season||First reuse of shooting star as watermark.|
|2012||1/8||Judge||Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed|||
|2012||3/8||Judge||Noble Hierarch||Old card frame.|
|2012||7/8||Judge||Sword of Light and Shadow||Old card frame|
|2013||1/8||Judge||Swords to Plowshares|
|2013||4/8||Judge||Crucible of Worlds||Old card frame.|
|2013||5/8||Judge||Genesis||Without tombstone symbol.|
|2013||8/8||Judge||Show and Tell|||
|2014||1/9||Judge||Karador, Ghost Chieftain|||
|2014||2/9||Judge||Greater Good||Announced in May 2014 after reaching the milestone of 5000 judges.|
|2014||3/9||Judge||Riku of Two Reflections|||
|2014||4/9||Judge||Force of Will||Every Judge who certified another judge after 2005 received a Force of Will for each judge certified (up to 4).|
|2014||5/9||Judge||Hanna, Ship's Navigator|||
|2014||6/9||Judge||Sword of Feast and Famine||Old card frame.|
|2014||7/9||Judge||Nekusar, the Mindrazer|||
|2014||8/9||Judge||Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite||Phyrexian text. Phyrexian symbol as watermark.|
|2014||9/9||Judge||Oloro, Ageless Ascetic|||
|2014||1/5||Judge||Plains||Full-art. Part of a cycle of basic lands illustrated by Terese Nielsen, Announced in August 2014.|
|2015||1/8||Judge||Temporal Manipulation||Announced in 2016.|
|2015||2/8||Judge||Shardless Agent||Announced in 2016.|
|2015||4/8||Judge||Ravages of War|||
|2015||5/8||Judge||Damnation||Centered text. Non-Planar Chaos timeshifted card frame.|
|2015||7/8||Judge||Feldon of the Third Path|||
|2016||1/8||Judge||Stoneforge Mystic||Never released officially. The illustration was reused for the 2016 Stoneforge Mystic (Grand Prix)|
|2016||3/8||Judge||Azusa, Lost but Seeking|
|2016||7/8||Judge||Defense of the Heart|||
|2016||8/8||Judge||Zur the Enchanter|||
|2017||1/8||Judge||Avacyn, Angel of Hope|
|2017||2/8||Judge||Capture of Jingzhou|
|2017||5/8||Judge||Doran, the Siege Tower|
|2018||3/8||Judge||Nin, the Pain Artist||New legendary card frame.|
|2018||6/8||Judge||Lord of Atlantis|
|2019||2/8||Judge||Sliver Legion||New legendary card frame.|
|2019||3/8||Judge||Mox Opal||New legendary card frame.|
|2019||4/8||Judge||Isolated Watchtower||Last Judge Program card.|
|2019||5/8||Judge||Monastery Mentor||First Judge Academy card.|
|2019||6/8||Judge||Yuriko, the Tiger’s Shadow|||
|2019||7/8||Judge||Chalice of the Void||MTGO art. New-to-paper art.|
|2019||8/8||Judge||Reflecting Pool||MTGO art. New-to-paper art.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana (August 25, 2003). "DCI Promo Intuition". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (May 05, 2003). "DCI Promo Living Death". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (July 26, 2011). "Grim Lavamancer's Friend". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 11, 2010). "DCI Judges and Friday Night Magic". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (February 03, 2014). "Entombed for Karador". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Eric Sorensen (March 13, 2012). "Ask Wizards". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- The Magic Libaries. (January 13–16, 2013.) Judge Foil 2011 #4 of 8 Found!
- Monty Ashley (December 13, 2011). "The 2011 (sic) Judge Foils". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (April 05, 2013). "New Judge Promos". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (August 28, 2013). "Vindicated Genesis". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (June 19, 2013). "Overwhelming Tell". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (May 8, 2014). "Celebrating the Judge Program!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (August 4, 2014). "Judge Promo Basic Lands". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (March 22, 2016). "The March 22, 2016 Update". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (March 23, 2015). "Judge Promos Coming Soon". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (September 27, 2016). "The September 27, 2016 Update". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Judges (April 10, 2019). "We have a gorgeous new pair of judge foils to share with you today". Twitter.
- Nicolette Apraez (July 29, 2019). "Judge Academy FAQ". Judge Academy.
- E. Raff (September 18, 2019). "Check out these new judge promos". Twitter.