|Birthplace||Dominaria, continent of Shiv, Ghitu Tribe|
|Lifetime||Born 3289 AR|
|Time Streams, Invasion, Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight|
History[edit | edit source]
Academy years[edit | edit source]
Slightly older than Teferi, she was Karn's first friend after his activation, and gave him his name. She was used by Kerrick to infiltrate the Academy. This caused the temporal disaster that destroyed the first Academy and left Jhoira stranded on Tolaria for many years until the Headmaster Urza returned to found a new Academy. She devised a method to save her fellow student Teferi from a certain death, and enabled the academics to access the different time zones.
Jhoira herself became nearly immortal due to her experiences at Tolaria following the disaster. She managed to rig a means to collect water from a pool that had been affected by the temporal rifts. Drinking that water slowed the aging process to a near-absolute stand still, causing her appearance to age days over the course of centuries.
Fighting the Phyrexians[edit | edit source]
Jhoira was the first captain of the skyship Weatherlight and afterward returned to Shiv to oversee powerstone production. During the Phyrexian Invasion, her homeland was phased out along with Teferi's.
She returned to Dominaria along with Teferi, who was trying to bring the phased out continents back safely and close the rifts that threatened the Multiverse. In order for Jhoira to feel more at ease with the task, Teferi summoned two Ghitu warriors and two Viashino to accompany them. After losing a battle against Nicol Bolas, Teferi gave up his powers as a planeswalker to seal the time rift over Shiv, restoring the continent to its rightful form. Unbeknownst to Teferi, Jhoira wore an amulet around her neck, which contained a small Powerstone holding his Planeswalker spark. She has made this stone herself at the Thran Mana Rig.
Dating Jodah[edit | edit source]
Restoring the Weatherlight[edit | edit source]
Sixty years after the Mending, Jhoira managed to locate the remains of the Weatherlight off the coast of Urborg. She salvaged the Thran metal frame, the powerstone and the engines. Rebuilding it with a weatherseed she managed to get the ship fly worthy again, and assembled a new crew to fight against the rising Cabal.
Fighting Belzenlok[edit | edit source]
Flying to Tolaria West, Jhoira and her crew found a Cabal agent who revealed the existence of the Blackblade. They realized this could be a possible weapon in their fight against Belzenlok, the leader of the Cabal. After the crew unexpectedly was reinforced by several planeswalkers, Jhoira finally found the right moment to hand over the powerstone containing Teferi's spark to its rightful owner. Now fully manned, the Weatherlight attacked the Stronghold where they fought Yargle.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
- Blessed Reversal (Urza's Legacy)
- Ghitu Fire
- Slow Motion
- Temporal Distortion
- Tinker (Urza's Legacy) 
- Weight of Memory
Quoted or referred to:
- Alloy Golem
- Arvad the Cursed
- Beast of Burden (Urza's Legacy)
- Careful Consideration
- Ghitu Fire-Eater (Urza's Legacy)
- Magus of the Candelabra
- Mantis Engine (Tenth Edition) foil only
- Mind Stone (Duel Decks: Jace vs. Chandra)
- Slimefoot, the Stowaway
- Sulfur Falls (Dominaria)
- Tribal Flames
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Story Podcast
- Martha Wells. (April 18, 2018.) “Return to Dominaria, Episode 6”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Martha Wells. (April 11, 2018.) “Return to Dominaria: Episode 5”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Martha Wells. (March 21, 2018.) “Return to Dominaria, Episode 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Martha Wells. (May 9, 2018.) “Return to Dominaria: Episode 9”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Martha Wells. (May 23, 2018.) “Return to Dominaria: Episode 11”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (Mark Rosewater.) “Returning Home”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.