In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
|Status||Inactive: Mirrodin to Conflux|
|Education/ Training||Pratt Institute|
Early life and education[edit | edit source]
Jarvis grew up in small-town Alabama and moved to New York City right after high school and just before his eighteenth birthday. There he attended Pratt Institute as a Fine Arts major, intending to work in comics upon graduation. He graduated Summa Cum Laude, but by then the desire to pencil comics had been replaced with the love for watercolor. His work has been included in The Spectrum Awards and The Society of Illustrators’ prestigious Annual Exhibition.
As an independent artist Jarvis had illustrated nearly 50 Magic cards before joining Wizards of the Coast full-time.
Career at Wizards[edit | edit source]
Jarvis joined Wizards in August 2005 as the company's lead concept artist for Magic. In April 2006, midway through the Time Spiral block, he was promoted to senior art director, responsible for guiding the art of every single Magic card. One of his goals when he took over the job was to push for "spell" art that was less literal and more abstract and metaphorical.
After nine years of being the sole art director responsible for commissioning Magic: The Gathering artworks, Jarvis was promoted in October 2015 to "Principal Designer of Worlds & IP". In March 2017, he became the Franchise Creative Director, responsible for orchestrating all creative expressions of the Magic IP.
Developing[edit | edit source]
- From the Vault: Dragons
- From the Vault: Relics
- From the Vault: Twenty
- From the Vault: Annihilation
- From the Vault: Angels
- From the Vault: Lore
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast (February 28, 2007). "Metaphor in Planar Chaos Spell Art". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic ArcanaMay 31, 2006. "Magic Dossier: Jeremy Jarvis". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 11, 2016). "Is "Principal Designer of Worlds & IP" a new title?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Cynthia Sheppard (May 13, 2017). "What does a Magic art director do?". Sheppard-arts.blogspot.nl
[edit | edit source]
- Patrick Scalisi (April 14, 2015) "Interview: Jeremy Jarvis – Senior Art Director, Wizards of the Coast". MTG ART - Art of Magic: the Gathering
- Mark Rosewater (July 23, 2008). "Art Appreciation: Jeremy Jarvis". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jeremy Jarvis author archive on magicthegathering.com