|Last Used||Commander 2017|
|Reminder Text||Intimidate (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it.)|
63% 11% 5% 5%
Artifact 11%, Multicolor 5%
Description[edit | edit source]
Intimidate was introduced with the Magic Comprehensive Rules revision for Magic 2010 even though no cards with that keyword were printed in that set. It functions similar to Fear, which was considered to have the wrong flavor and could only be used in black. Intimidate replaced Fear as an evergreen mechanic among new and reprinted cards. It first appeared in Zendikar. Its last apperance was in Magic 2015. Khans of Tarkir block had no cards with intimidate. As of Magic Origins, intimidate is no longer an evergreen mechanic, having been replaced with menace.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that restricts how a creature may be blocked. See rule 702.13, “Intimidate.”
- 702.13. Intimidate
- 702.13a Intimidate is an evasion ability.
- 702.13b A creature with intimidate can’t be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it. (See rule 509, “Declare Blockers Step.”)
- 702.13c Multiple instances of intimidate on the same creature are redundant.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Intimidate looks at the current colors of a creature that has it (hence why it was not applied retroactively to cards like Skirk Shaman). Normally, Bladetusk Boar can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or red creatures. If it's turned blue, then it can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or blue creatures.
- If an attacking creature has intimidate, what colors it is matters only as the defending player declares blockers. Once it's blocked, changing its colors won't change that.
- Artifact creatures can block creatures with intimidate no matter what colors either of them are.
- A multicolored creature with intimidate can be blocked by any creature that shares a color with it, in addition to artifact creatures. For example, a white-blue creature with intimidate can be blocked by white creatures and/or blue creatures, no matter what other colors they are.
- A colorless creature with intimidate can be blocked only by artifact creatures. It can't be blocked by colorless nonartifact creatures. In fact, a colorless nonartifact creature can't block a creature with intimidate at all.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Boar
Intimidate (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it.)
Enchantments that grant Intimidate to a creature[edit | edit source]
Artifacts that grant Intimidate to a creature[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (October 12, 2009). "Zendikar Talk". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 8, 2015). "Evergreen Eggs & Ham". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- A Planeswalker's Primer for Zendikar: Intimidate (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube.
- Mark Rosewater (May 2, 2017). "Do you think Intimidate can return in color-based set?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 11, 2017). "Can you maybe clarify why intimidate was abandoned as a mechanic?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 11, 2017). "But is intimidate really so thoroughly abandoned as to be a 10?". Blogatog. Tumblr.