The Immortal Sun is a powerful item hidden in Orazca, an ancient metropolis hidden in the uncharted jungles of Ixalan. The Immortal Sun is rumored to be more valuable and powerful than any other artifact in existence, promising boundless wealth, the strength of empire, command over nature, and eternal life. The history of the Immortal Sun is the history of its misuse by mortals. Some believe that the search for the artifact will lead to a catastrophe.
Torrezon[edit | edit source]
The Immortal Sun once belonged to the vampiric kingdom that would one day form the Legion of Dusk on the continent of Torrezon, where it was kept in a hidden monastery. The power of the artifact inspired the envy of its neighbours and soon, hostile forces under the leadership of Pedron the Wicked attacked the monastery. The Sun was taken up by an - as yet unidentified- winged entity and brought across the sea to the continent of Ixalan.
Sun Empire[edit | edit source]
When the Sun Empire was in possession of the Immortal Sun, they built the incredible city of Orazca and ushered in a new age of prosperity and growth for their people. But eventually one of their emperors used it for evil purposes.
River Heralds[edit | edit source]
The merfolk River Heralds were tasked by the the Last Guardian (the same winged entity that had stolen the artifact) to defend the Golden City and the Immortal Sun, and believe that no one should control its power. To protect its secrets, they only kind of know where the city is, but not the exact location. They’ve been making sure no one gets there for centuries.
The Race[edit | edit source]
Finally, the vampires have come to the continent of Ixalan to retrieve their possesion. They pray its power will allow the hopes of the church to be fulfilled and eternal life be available to all without the need to subsist on the blood of the wicked. Meanwhile the Brazen Coalition also seeks this ancient prize. They think it may be the key to returning to Torrezon and driving out the Legion of Dusk to reclaim their ancestral lands. One of the merfolk own, Kumena, has gone against the wishes of the rest of his people and gone in search of the artifact himself, hoping to use it to kill the outsiders. The warrior-poet Huatli was tasked by the Emperor to reclaim the Golden City for the Sun Empire. Huatli temporarily joined up with the merfolk Tishana, to prevent Kumena from gaining control over the Immortal Sun. In the race for Orazca, the planeswalker Angrath joined the fray, as well. Finally, Vraska was tasked by Nicol Bolas to retrieve the artifact for his nefarious purposes off the plane of Ixalan. She travelled together with Jace Beleren.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Blake Rasmussen and Alison Luhrs. (August 30, 2017.) “Magic Story Podcast: Ixalan”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Explore the Planes: Ixalan
- R&D Narrative Team. (September 27, 2017.) “The Shapers”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team. (October 4, 2017.) “Something Else Entirely”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Chas Andres. (October 25, 2017.) “Ten Burning Questions from the Ixalan Story”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team. (September 13, 2017 .) “A Question of Confidence”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team. (October 11, 2017.) “The Race, Part 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team. (October 18, 2017.) “The Race, Part 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.