|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
1.1% 93.1% 3.4% 1.1% 1.1%
Description[edit | edit source]
As the existence of Illusions is often based on the manipulation of mind magic, their attributes are variable. As they are immaterial, some may be used to attack through an enemy's defenses. However, many are at such odds with reality, direct contact with the material world breaks their spell and causes them to vanish or be destroyed. This is seen in their "Skulking" ability (When ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it). More recent Illusions are only vulnerable to spells, not to abilties.
The first creatures to bear the type were Illusionary Presence and Illusionary Forces in Ice Age, though the Psionic Entity from Legends was later issued errata to become an Illusion as well. More than sixty Illusions have been printed, so far. They typically have flying, shadow or some other kind of evasion. The default race for llusions seems to be human, which is never mentioned in the type line while other creature types are.
Notable Illusions[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Phobian Phantasm, Glaze Fiend and Phantasmal Fiend are the only mono black Illusions.
- Illusory Demon and Cromat are the only multicolored Illusions.
- The enchantment Halcyon Glaze can become an 4/4 Illusion creature with Flying
- The instant Dance of the Skywise changes creatures into 4/4 blue dragon illusions.
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Illusion||Blue||Creature — Illusion||1/1||Flying|
|Blue||Creature — Illusion||2/2|
|Blue||Creature — Illusion||2/2||When this creature becomes the target of a spell, sacrifice it.|
|Blue||Creature — Illusion||0/2||Whenever this creature blocks a creature, that creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.|
|Bird Illusion||Blue||Creature — Bird Illusion||1/1||Flying|
|Zombie Illusion Warrior
named Labyrinth Guardian
|White||Creature — Zombie Illusion Warrior||2/3||Whenever Labyrinth Guardian becomes the target of a spell, sacrifice it.|
Creature Update[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (February 07, 2016). "Have we seen the last of "skulking"?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (June 5, 2017). "Mechanical Color Pie 2017". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 07, 2017). "Could you tell me a little about the upgrade on Illusions?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (October 28, 2015). "Is "Illusion" like Zombie?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Magic Arcana (January 20, 2010). "Summoning an Illusion". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.