Description[edit | edit source]
Like other planeswalkers, she was unable to leave Ixalan. She describes this as a 'golden gale' that prevents her from 'flying away'. She has a special connection to her dinosaurs, being able to communicate with them via scent-memories. Driven by her visions of other worlds, she seeks to find Orazca to unlock its power.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Ignited yet Unawakened[edit | edit source]
One of the youngest candidate for the title of warrior-poet in generations, Huatli fought against the vampire incursions on the Sun Coast and was honored by the Emperor for her deeds. During her defense of the coastline, she was met by the crew of an unknown creature. The entity called itself Angrath and told her that it searched for the Immortal Sun. In their battle, her spark ignited and she found herself in a wonderous place she had never seen before, only to be ripped back to Ixalan. Angrath recognized her as a fellow planeswalker and offered her assistance in leaving the plane in exchange for help, but she attacked him and fled. Believing the vision to be Orazca, Huatli was proclaimed warrior-poet of the Empire and tasked by the Emperor to reclaim the Golden City for the Sun Empire.
Search of the Immortal Sun[edit | edit source]
Huatli temporarily joined up with the merfolk Tishana, to prevent Kumena from gaining control over the Immortal Sun. In the race for Orazca, Angrath caught up with her again. In an uneasy truce, they traveled together to the golden city. On their way, Angrath rudely questioned Huatli's meager ambition to officially earn the title of Warrior-Poet, showing her the possibilities of a planeswalker. After stopping at a tomb in the jungle, and wakening Saint Elenda, Angrath left her. Huatli reacted by sending a Dinosaur to trampling him in the mud.
Rejoining Tishana in battling the vampires Vona and Mavren Fein, they were interrupted by the Siren pirate Malcom, who drew them out of the room they were fighting in. The song ended and Breeches (a goblin pirate) started slashing at Vona's face and eyes. Then, Angrath interrupted them all by barreling through the room they were just in. He had killed the dinosaur that Huatli had used to push him into the dirt. He swung his chains at Breeches, who was pulled towards Angrath. Then, everyone scrambled to touch the Immortal Sun. Tishana put her hand on it, Huatli put her foot on its side, Angrath stomped on the object's center, while Vona, who had just been touching it, put both hands on it once again. A current of energy rushed through them all and Huatli laughed at how good it felt.
The feeling was taken away right after, when Tezzeret stole the Immortal Sun through a planar portal. Now able to planeswalk, Huatli first returned home, using one of the Elder Dinosaurs as a mount with the remaining power of the sun inside her to demonstrate her success. The emperor finally allowed her to use the title "Warrior-Poet", but his terms were such that she no longer wanted to serve him. After seeking her family's permission, she planeswalked away.
First Planeswalk[edit | edit source]
When she arrived in Ghirapur, she was at first overwhelmed by the new experience. Being greeted by Saheeli, the two women shared their experiences, with Saheeli being eager to model an artificial dinosaur after hearing about them from Huatli for the first time.
War of the Spark[edit | edit source]
Planeswalkers met[edit | edit source]
Planes visited[edit | edit source]
In-game references[edit | edit source]
Quoted or referred to:
References[edit | edit source]
- Blake Rasmussen (September 1, 2017). "Ixalan Promos, Planeswalker Decks, Packaging, and FNM Tokens!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Flavor text for Kinjalli's Sunwing
- R&D Narrative Team (September 13, 2017). "A Question of Confidence". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team (October 11, 2017). "The Race, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team (October 18, 2017). "The Race, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team (January 17, 2018). "Glimpse the Far Side of the Sun". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team (January 24, 2018). "The Arbiter of Law Left Chaos in His Wake". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team (February 2, 2018). "Who Tells the Stories". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team (February 14, 2018). "Wool over the Eyes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.