Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
History[edit | edit source]
The first creature to bear the type was Ghost Hounds in Homelands (though the Hurr Jackal from Arabian Nights and Snow Hound from Ice Age, a Dog, were later issued errata to become Hounds as well). Hyenas were made Hounds in the Grand Creature Type Update, but this was reverted in the Update from the Grand Update, probably for taxonomic reasons.
Mark Rosewater argued numerous times with Creative to change the creature type Hound to Dog but has never won the argument. He argues that a hound is a type of dog much like a poodle is a type of dog. He states that all hounds are dogs but not all dogs are hounds.
Phyrexia[edit | edit source]
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Tarkir[edit | edit source]
Ainok[edit | edit source]
Ainok are sapient, humanoid Hound folk of Tarkir. Affiliated with the Abzan Houses and the Temur Frontier, they are a highly variable species, mirroring actual canine species and breeds. The Abzan Ainok, resembling jackals, are the original inhabitants of the desert and experienced in sand based magic, having taught the Abzan on how to survive in the desert; they prefer to live on the fringes of human dominated society.
Temur Ainok resemble Tibetan Mastiffs. Like the Abzan Ainok, these are the original inhabitants of their environment, the Qal Sisma mountains. Eager to fight for any reason, they enjoy carnage for carnage's sake, and blood-crazed Ainok may even devour chunks of flesh from a fallen opponent, though such is considered an embarrassing lack of self-control. Well established and trusted among Temur families and sharing the same rights and responsibilities, some nonetheless feel resentment towards human domination in the clan, and the veteran Baihir Torn-Of-Ear and the semi-Mardu affiliated Kharkhel seek to murder the khan himself in order to achieve dominance.
Theros[edit | edit source]
Ulgrotha[edit | edit source]
Notable Hounds[edit | edit source]
- Isamaru, Hound of Konda — The only Legendary Hound.
- Jackal Pup — The star of a deck that created a revolution in how Magic was played. Sligh came out of nowhere to dominate the tournament world and introduce people to the previously unheard of concept of mana curve.
- Hound of Griselbrand — A demonic Elemental Hound on Innistrad.
Hound tokens[edit | edit source]
|Hound||Green||Creature — Hound||1/1|
|Green||Legendary Creature — Hound||3/3|
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (November 11, 2013.) "The difference between a dog and a hound.", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (September 20, 2014.) "You know hound is the original English word for dog right?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (December 31, 2014.) "Could I get some trivia on hounds?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (May 12, 2015.) "Couldn't we just say that, in the multiverse of MTG, Hound is the word people use for Dog?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (November 07, 2015.) "What are your thoughts on Zodiac Dog from Portal Three Kingdoms being printed with the type line "Creature - Dog", only to be errata'd to "Creature - Hound"?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (December 18, 2015.) "Can you explain the dog/hound situation?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 22, 2016.) ""You ain't nothing but a hound, dog?"", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Monty Ashley. (May 12, 2011.) “Who Filled the Dogs Up?”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (May 6, 2013.) “The Mossdog”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Creative Team. (September 3, 2014.) “Planeswalker's Guide to Khans of Tarkir, Part 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Creative Team. (September 11, 2014.) “Planeswalker's Guide to Khans of Tarkir, Part 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.