|Add. rules||Best-of-one and Best-of-three|
Historic is a constructed non-rotating format for Magic: The Gathering Arena that was officially announced by Wizards of the Coast on June 27, 2019. It is planned for introduction in November, 2019, as a format that will allow Arena players to make use of cards that are no longer legal in Standard after rotation. The format will be exclusive to Arena, and is intended "to be a fun and casual way [that players] can continue to play with all the cards in [their] collection".
Before they settled on Historic the name used for the rumored format was "Standard Plus". The format will include a Historic Play queue (both best-of-one and best-of-three), Direct Challenge, practice matches with Sparky, as well as some rotating events that are not beholden to Standard (such as Pauper, Singleton, etc.).
The introduction of Historic coincides with the first rotation for MTG Arena, and the release of the fall set of that year, Throne of Eldraine. Along with the Historic format, Wizards will be adding “new” old cards to MTG Arena “from across Magic’s history” for use in the format. 15-20 new cards will be added in November for the beginning of the new format, with the goal of adding more cards every quarter. Both the “new” cards and the cards rotating out of Standard (thus becoming Historic cards themselves) were announced to require two Wildcards each to craft—rather than the usual one.
After feedback from the player's base, the decision to change Wildcard redemption rates for rotated cards was revoked. It was decided that redemption for all rotated cards would remain 1:1.
- Wizards of the Coast (June 27, 2019). "MTG Arena: State of the Beta — June 2019". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- MTG Arena Admin (June 27, 2019). "Rotation Guide - Intro to Rotation, Upcoming Changes, and Historic Play". Mtgarena.com.
- Brett Teran (June 27, 2019). "MTG Arena update: Introducing the Historic format". Magic Esports.
- Cody Gravelle (December 06, 2018). "Magic Arena Will Eventually Have A "Standard Plus" Format". Screenrant.com.
- David McCoy (August 29, 2019). "Historic Comes to MTG Arena in November with “New” Old Cards From Magic’s History". Hipsters of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (August 29, 2019). "MTG Arena: State of the Beta – August 2019". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- David McCoy (August 29, 2019). "Historic Cards Will Cost 2 Wildcards to Craft on MTG Arena for the “Health of the Game”". Hipsters of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (September 13, 2019). "MTG Arena Update on Historic". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.