|Reminder Text||(Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)|
Taking various game (preexisting) components and then connecting them into a larger group with a new word is a feature in Magic, with historic being the first example of this. Mark Rosewater refers to this as "batching". Historic is a mechanic unique to Dominaria, and not meant to be evergreen.
Cards can interact in several ways with historic cards:
- Trigger abilities "whenever you cast a historic spell." These don't trigger if a historic card is put onto the battlefield without being cast. Note that Legendary Lands are never cast, because they aren't spells.
- Trigger when a historic card leaves the battlefield (e.g. Curator's Ward)
- Search for a historic card (e.g. Board the Weatherlight)
- Blink historic card (Sentinel of the Pearl Trident)
- Cast historic spells as though they had flash. (Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage)
- Exile historic cards. (e.g. Rona, Disciple of Gix)
- Return historic card to your hand (Guardians of Koilos)
- Lower the casting cost of historic cards (Jhoira's Familiar)
- An object is historic if it has the legendary supertype, the artifact card type, or the Saga subtype. See rule 700.6.
- 700.6. The term historic refers to an object that has the legendary supertype, the artifact card type, or the Saga subtype.
- A card, spell, or permanent is historic if it has the legendary supertype, the artifact card type, or the Saga subtype. Having two of those qualities doesn't make an object more historic than another or provide an additional bonus — an object either is historic or it isn't.
- Some abilities trigger "whenever you cast a historic spell." Such an ability resolves before the spell that caused it to trigger. It resolves even if that spell is countered.
- An ability that triggers "whenever you cast a historic spell" doesn't trigger if a historic card is put onto the battlefield without being cast.
- Lands are never cast, so abilities that trigger "whenever you cast a historic spell" won't trigger if you play a legendary land. They also won't trigger if a card on the battlefield transforms into a legendary land, as the Ixalan and Rivals of Ixalan double-faced cards do.
Artifact Creature — Bird
Historic spells you cast cost less to cast. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)
- Matt Tabak (March 21, 2018). "Dominaria mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (April 9, 2018). "A Historic Story". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (March 10, 2018). "Is the "historic" term a new evergreen thing, or just a Dominaria thing?". Blogatog. Tumblr.