Hippo is a rarely used creature type used for cards that depict very large herbivorous 4-toed, chiefly aquatic, mammals with an extremely large head and mouth, bare and very thick grayish skin, and short legs.
Regular Hippos[edit | edit source]
Hippos appear in blue and green. The first creature to bear the type was Bull Hippo in Urza's Saga, though Pygmy Hippo from Visions (originally subtype Hippopotamus) was issued errata to become a Hippo as well. These were the only Hippo creature cards until the release of Amonkhet and the card Defiant Greatmaw, followed by Rampaging Hippo in Hour of Devastation.
Phelddagrifs[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Both Phelddagrifs can create 1/1 green hippo tokens.
- Phelddagrif is an anagram for "Garfield PhD", referring to the Richard Garfield, Ph.D., the creator of Magic.
- As a "vanity card" Pheldagriffs are now out of bounds.
- The flavor text from Seedtime (Judgment) mentions hippos growing wings.
Hippo tokens[edit | edit source]
|Hippo||Green||Creature — Hippo||1/1|
|Green||Creature — Hippo||3/3|
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer (August 10, 2011). "Magic's Exclusive Creatures". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (December 28, 2017). "Can I have some trivia on my favourite creature type Phelddagrif?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (March 02, 2012). "Are you planning on coming out with any more phelddagrifs.?". Blogatog. Tumblr.