|Last Used||Journey into Nyx|
|Typical Text||Heroic — Whenever you cast a spell that targets this card, …|
32% 24% 15% 15% 9% 3% 3%
Heroic is an ability word introduced in Theros. A creature with heroic gives the controlling player powerful benefits every time they cast a spell that targets it. Heroic also featured in the rest of the Theros block.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- A heroic ability triggers only when the creature's controller casts a spell that targets it, not when any other player does.
- A heroic ability triggers whenever a player casts any spell that targets the heroic creature, including a spell that also targets another creature.
- If a spell targets multiple creatures with heroic abilities, all of them trigger.
- Activated abilities, such as equip, do not cause heroic abilities to trigger.
- An instant or sorcery spell has a target if it includes the word "target" in its rules text.
- Each Aura spell also has a target, indicated by its enchant ability.
- Creature spells and other non-aura permanent spells never have targets.
- Heroic abilities will resolve before the spell that caused them to trigger.
- Heroic abilities will trigger only once per spell, even if that spell targets the creature with the heroic ability multiple times.
- Heroic abilities won't trigger when a copy of a spell is created on the stack or when a spell's targets are changed to include a creature with a heroic ability.
- If the spell that caused heroic to be triggered is countered, heroic will still resolve.
Example[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast. (September 2, 2013.) "The Mechanics of Theros", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (September 16, 2013.) "A Theros By Any Other Name, Part 3", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (October 18, 2013.) "Hero Complex", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.