|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
Hellion is a mainly red creature type used for cards that depict enormous, wormlike creatures with a scaly, snakelike body, spiky knobs along its sides, and a ring of tentacles surrounding a toothy maw.
Description[edit | edit source]
Hellions are manifestations of nature's blind rage. Most are huge, about the size of freight trains. They are mighty, unpredictable, and hostile. Often, the Hellion is the beating heart of a volcano (Caldera Hellion, Crater Hellion, Flameborn Hellion).
History[edit | edit source]
The first creature to bear the type was Volcano Hellion in Planar Chaos, though the Crater Hellion from Urza's Saga, the Flowstone Hellion from Stronghold and the Iron-Barb Hellion from Fifth Dawn were all issued errata to become Hellions as well as Beasts. At the time of the Grand Creature Type Update, R&D talked about consolidating Hellion into another creature type, but after many days arguing about how to consolidate it, they left it alone.
Notable Hellions[edit | edit source]
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Hellion||Red||Creature — Hellion||4/4|
|Red||Creature — Hellion||4/4||Haste|
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer (December 24, 2008). "How to Design a Hellion and More!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (November 10, 2010). "Sketches: Flameborn Hellion". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (August 10, 2011). "Magic's Exclusive Creatures". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (March, 2007). "Ask Wizards - March 2007". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (April 05, 2018). "Trivia on my favorite creature type, Hellion?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Magic Arcana (January 09, 2006). "The Hellion-Headed Hydra". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.