Hellion is a mainly red creature type used for cards that depict enormous, wormlike creatures with a scaly, snakelike body, spiky knobs along its sides, and a ring of tentacles surrounding a toothy maw.
Description[edit | edit source]
Hellions are manifestations of nature's blind rage. Most are huge, about the size of freight trains. They are mighty, unpredictable, and hostile. Often, the Hellion is the beating heart of a volcano (Caldera Hellion, Crater Hellion, Flameborn Hellion).
History[edit | edit source]
The first creature to bear the type was Volcano Hellion in Planar Chaos, though the Crater Hellion from Urza's Saga and the Flowstone Hellion from Stronghold were both later issued errata to become Hellions as well as Beasts. At the time of the Grand Creature Type Update, R&D talked about consolidating Hellion into another creature type, but after many days arguing about how to consolidate it, they left it alone.
Notable Hellions[edit | edit source]
Hellion tokens[edit | edit source]
|Hellion||Red||Creature — Hellion||4/4|
|Red||Creature — Hellion||4/4||Haste|
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer. (December 24, 2008.) "How to Design a Hellion and More!", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (November 10, 2010.) "Sketches: Flameborn Hellion", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (August 10, 2011.) "Magic's Exclusive Creatures", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 05, 2018.) "Trivia on my favorite creature type, Hellion?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Magic Arcana. (January 09, 2006.) "The Hellion-Headed Hydra", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.