Description[edit | edit source]
Hekara is known to be exceedingly quirky and chipper, with a short attention span. She is a pretty young woman, dressed in a particolored outfit made of a variety of dyed leather patches sewn together into a tight bodysuit. A dozen tiny silver bells hang from the tips of her hair, which is short and shaped into narrow spikes with what looked like paste. Her boots are enormous black things that look like they have been partially burned. She speaks Rakdos street slang, a patois, and accents cribbed from a half-dozen cultures. Like all razorwitches, Hekara is able to conjure double-ended, diamond-shaped knives out of thin air. Her hands are thickly cross-hatched with tiny cuts from these knives.
After her resurrection as a blood witch, Hekara has more authority and power, but still retains her razor witchcraft. Her character seems to be unchanged, but Sarkhan Vol notices that she seemed to be afraid of something just out of view for others.
History[edit | edit source]
Hekara was the best friend of, and a role model for, Araithia Shokta. She was one of the few individuals who were capable of seeing and remembering Rat, but after she was revived from the dead, she was no longer capable of it.
Hekara was sent as an observer by Rakdos to Ral Zarek who was rallying forces against Nicol Bolas. She was also to be the Rakdos emissary at the guild summit. She worked with Ral, Vraska (whom she fancied), Kaya, and Lavinia against Bolas. She participated in an attack on Orzhova, which allowed Kaya to kill the Obzedat. She was severely wounded but managed ta escape with Ral and Vraska. .
Hekara attended the guild summit on behalf of the Cult, and witnessed its dissolution after the murder of Isperia. She later helped Ral Zarek and Kaya to enter the Beacon Tower that was protected by Dovin Baan's guard, in order to activate the Interplanar Beacon. After a betrayal by Vraska, she was killed by a Bolas-possessed Lavinia while saving her "mate" Ral's life.
In the War of the Spark, Rakdos initially was not cooperating at all with the anti-Bolas efforts because Hekara was killed. Kaya's group was going around to every non-cooperating guild to convince them to help out in Niv-Mizzet's plan of becoming the new Living Guildpact. Rakdos still refused to cooperate with the plan, but Hekara's corpse was brought back by Tomik and she was revived as a bloodwitch. Hekara said that she would help Kaya's group. Exava tried to object but lost to Hekara in a fight. Rakdos didn't say anything but did not actively prevent Hekara from leaving, which was interpreted as gaining the support of the cult (or at least, not denied support). She was the Rakdos representative for Niv-Mizzet's resurrection and his becoming the Living Guildpact.
In the last all-out attack on Bolas's troops, Hekara was unknowingly protected by Rat. When Rakdos helped Gideon Jura in his attack on the Elder Dragon, Hekara was relieved to see her statement confirmed that the demon agreed with their plans.
After the War, Rakdos replaced Exava with Hekara as his official representative.
Story appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Jay Annelli (March 18, 2019). "Storytelling in Magic: the Gathering Panel at ECCC 2019". Archive Trap Mini. Tumblr.
- Django Wexler (July 3, 2019), The Gathering Storm, Chapter Five.
- Django Wexler (June 26, 2019), The Gathering Storm, Chapter Four.
- Greg Weisman (April 2019). "War of the Spark: Ravnica". Del Rey.
- Greg Weisman (May 8, 2019). "War of the Spark — Old Friends and New". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Django Wexler (July 11, 2019), The Gathering Storm, Chapter Six.
- Django Wexler (July 18, 2019), The Gathering Storm, Chapter Seven.
- Django Wexler (August 14, 2019), The Gathering Storm, Chapter Ten.
- Django Wexler (October 16, 2019). "The Gathering Storm, Chapter Nineteen. Del Rey.
- Django Wexler (October 23, 2019), The Gathering Storm, Chapter Twenty, Del Rey.
- Greg Weisman (June 5, 2019). "War of the Spark: Ravnica – Operation Desperation". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Greg Weisman (June 12, 2019). "War of the Spark: Ravnica – Ashes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.