Sixth Edition (keyword)
|Reminder Text||Haste (This creature can attack and as soon as it comes under your control.)|
Haste is a keyword ability that allows a creature to circumvent summoning sickness. Creatures with haste can attack or use activated abilities with the or symbol in the activation cost even if they have not been continuously controlled by a player since the beginning of that player's most recent turn.
Description[edit | edit source]
Haste has been in Magic since the original Alpha's Nether Shadow, though it did not have a keyword at the time and was simply spelled out in the rules text. In R&D, it was known by the nickname Celerity. It wasn't until the Sixth Edition rules change that it got added as a keyword ability. Haste has been rotated around the Color Wheel, initially being in black and green; it has now been placed primary in red, before black and green. There have been some recent exceptions, notably Giant Solifuge and Planar Chaos's green haste-echo creatures. Lately, green has moved up to secondary place. Black is also secondary.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Haste removes the normal "cannot attack" restriction due to not being controlled at the start of a player's turn. It does not remove any other combat restrictions. For example, it will not make a Wall able to attack, give you a second attack in a turn, or allow you to attack using a Raging Goblin if the defending player has Island Sanctuary activated.
Example[edit | edit source]
Enchantments that grant just haste[edit | edit source]
All your creatures
- Concordant Crossroads
- Mass Hysteria
- Ashling's Prerogative (match converted mana cost of the chosen value)
Planes card that grant Haste[edit | edit source]
- Bloodhill Bastion (whenever a creature enters the battlefield, also gains double strike)
- Sokenzan (all creatures)
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (January 24, 2005.) "A Few Words From R&D", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 8, 2015.) "Evergreen Eggs & Ham", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 5, 2017.) "Mechanical Color Pie 2017", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (December 09, 2018.) "Is vengvine a bend in green having haste and all?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 7, 2019.) "Building Allegiances, Part 2", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- A Planeswalker's Primer for Magic 2010: Haste
- Wizards of the Coast. (November 18, 2003.) "Fun with haste", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.