Sixth Edition (keyword)
|Reminder Text||Haste (This creature can attack and as soon as it comes under your control.)|
Haste is a keyword ability that allows a creature to circumvent summoning sickness. Creatures with haste can attack or use activated abilities with the or symbol in the activation cost even if they have not been continuously controlled by a player since the beginning of that player's most recent turn.
Haste has been in Magic since the original Alpha's Nether Shadow, though it did not have a keyword at the time and was simply spelled out in the rules text. In R&D, it was known by the nickname Celerity. It wasn't until the Sixth Edition rules change that it got added as a keyword ability. Haste has been rotated around the Color Wheel, initially being in black and green; it has now been placed primary in red, before black and green. There have been some recent exceptions, notably Giant Solifuge and Planar Chaos's green haste-echo creatures. Lately, green has moved up to secondary place. Black is also secondary.
- A keyword ability that lets a creature ignore the “summoning sickness” rule. See rule 702.10, “Haste,” and rule 302.6.
- 702.10. Haste
- 702.10a Haste is a static ability.
- 702.10b If a creature has haste, it can attack even if it hasn’t been controlled by its controller continuously since their most recent turn began. (See rule 302.6.)
- 702.10c If a creature has haste, its controller can activate its activated abilities whose cost includes the tap symbol or the untap symbol even if that creature hasn’t been controlled by that player continuously since their most recent turn began. (See rule 302.6.)
- 702.10d Multiple instances of haste on the same creature are redundant.
- Haste removes the normal "cannot attack" restriction due to not being controlled at the start of a player's turn. It does not remove any other combat restrictions. For example, it will not make a Wall able to attack, give you a second attack in a turn, or allow you to attack using a Raging Goblin if the defending player has Island Sanctuary activated.
Creature — Goblin Berserker
Haste (This creature can attack and as soon as it comes under your control.)
Enchantments that grant just haste
All your creatures
- Concordant Crossroads
- Mass Hysteria
- Ashling's Prerogative (match converted mana cost of the chosen value)
Planes card that grant Haste
- Bloodhill Bastion (whenever a creature enters the battlefield, also gains double strike)
- Sokenzan (all creatures)
- Mark Rosewater (January 24, 2005). "A Few Words From R&D". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 8, 2015). "Evergreen Eggs & Ham". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 5, 2017). "Mechanical Color Pie 2017". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (December 09, 2018). "Is vengvine a bend in green having haste and all?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (January 7, 2019). "Building Allegiances, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- A Planeswalker's Primer for Magic 2010: Haste (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube.
- Wizards of the Coast (November 18, 2003). "Fun with haste". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.