A player's hand consists of cards that have been drawn, but not played. It is one of six zones of the game. Flavor-wise, the hand represents the conscious mind of the player as a planeswalker and the starting hand is the first seven items that occur to you when you begin a duel with another planeswalker. The starting hand may be reduced when a mulligan is performed. After the optional mulligan, it is called your opening hand.
Rules[edit | edit source]
No maximum hand size[edit | edit source]
There are some cards that grant you no maximum hand size. Some of them are:
- Spellbook ().
- Graceful Adept ().
- Library of Leng (). Also has "If an effect causes you to discard a card, discard it, but you may put it on top of your library instead of into your graveyard."
- Reliquary Tower. Also has ": Add to your mana pool."
- Thought Vessel (). Also has ": Add to your mana pool."
- Venser's Journal (). Also has "At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life for each card in your hand."
- Kruphix, God of Horizons (). Also has "Indestructible; If unused mana would empty from your mana pool, that mana becomes colorless instead."
- Tamiyo, the Moon Sage (). Granted as an emblem.
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer. (February 20, 2008.) “Share the Spark”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (December 10, 2008.) “The Flavor of Zones”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (August 18, 2010.) “Seven on the Seven”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Helene Bergeot. (June 29, 2015.) “Changes Starting with Pro Tour Magic Origins”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.