The Guilds of Ravnica block is the unofficial name for three large expansions set on Ravnica that are to be released in 2018-2019.
It is not a block in the traditional sense, because there is no mechanical overlap and the sets are drafted on their own. Blocks were abandoned in 2018 with the introduction of the Three-and-One Model, but that didn't mean that consecutive expansions couldn't be set on the same plane.
The series consists of Guilds of Ravnica (), Ravnica Allegiance () and War of the Spark (). The first two each are focused on five of the ten Ravnican guilds. They are what you would expect a return to Ravnica to be and it needed to be two to fit in all the guilds. The third set will focus on the culmination of the Bolas Arc, the storyline around the fight of the Gatewatch against Nicol Bolas, and not on the guilds. The latter is its own unique thing.
The following guilds are represented in each of the first two sets:
The guilds fight internally between the forces pulling them toward or away from Bolas's influence. In the end, five fall under his influence, and five don't. The five guilds that fall to Bolas all have a planeswalker leading the guild. Guilds of Ravnica and Ravnica Allegiance are mostly concurrent with Ixalan and Dominaria so the Gatewatch is busy elsewhere storywise.
The first two sets are accompanied by Guild Kits. Each Guild Kit features a 60-card preconstructed theme deck flavored after one of the featured guilds, combining cards from every Ravnica set released so far. The reprints aren't Standard legal. The Kits are packaged with appropriate pins, stickers, and spindown life counters.
The first two sets are accompanied by Mythic Editions. Each contain 24 booster of the respective set. Eight of these are specially marked and contain a Masterpiece card.
||Dovin, Grand Arbiter
||Lazav, the Multifarious
||Rakdos, the Showstopper
||Domri, Chaos Bringer
||Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
||Ral, Izzet Viceroy
||Vraska, Golgari Queen
||Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice
||Prime Speaker Vannifar
- Each of these mythic rare legendary creatures or planeswalkers represents the current leader of its respective guild. Guilds allied with Nicol Bolas have planeswalkers; against, creatures.
||Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
||Etrata, the Silencer
||Judith, the Scourge Diva
||Nikya of the Old Ways
||Emmara, Soul of the Accord
||Tajic, Legion's Edge
||Zegana, Utopian Speaker
- Each of these rare legendary creatures represents a second-in-command or otherwise-important figure in the guild.
- Ten uncommon multicolor creatures, each of whom have two abilities, one for each color.
||Sphinx of New Prahv
- Ten powerful uncommon multicolor creatures, each of which has two of each of its guild's colored mana.
- Each of these rare nonbasic dual lands has two basic land types and enters the battlefield tapped unless its controller pays 2 life.
- Each of these common nonbasic lands with the Gate subtype enter the battlefield tapped and produce one of either of its respective guild's colors.
- Each of these common artifacts cost , and tap to produce either of its respective guild's colors. For 4 hybrid mana, they can be sacrificed to draw two cards.
|Gold mechanical commons
- Each of these common multicolor spells demonstrates their respective guild's mechanic.
|Common hybrid creatures
|Uncommon split cards
||Depose // Deploy
||Discovery // Dispersal
||Carnival // Carnage
||Collision // Colossus
||Flower // Flourish
||Consecrate // Consume
||Invert // Invent
||Status // Statue
||Integrity // Intervention
||Incubation // Incongruity
- Ten uncommon split cards, one side of which uses hybrid mana in guild colors and the other side is multicolor. Each of these uncommon cards start with the same first 3 letters in each half's name.
|Rare split cards
||Warrant // Warden
||Connive // Concoct
||Bedeck // Bedazzle
||Thrash // Threat
||Assure // Assemble
||Revival // Revenge
||Expansion // Explosion
||Find // Finality
||Response // Resurgence
||Repudiate // Replicate
- Ten rare split cards, following the same formula as above. The hybrid side depicts the guild champion, and the multicolored side depicts its leader. Each of these cards start with the same first 3 letters in each half's name.
The Ravnica Inquisition annex set / board game is thematically connected, but isn't part of the block.
- ↑ Wizards of the Coast. (May 18, 2018.) "2018 Spring Announcement Day", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (May 18, 2018.) "In the summer announcements video gavin mentions...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (June 12, 2017.) "Metamorphosis 2.0", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ a b Mark Rosewater. (May 18, 2018.) "Going back to ravnica is exciting but getting 3...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (September 10, 2018.) "Guild to Order, Part 1", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (May 20, 2018.) "As you look to revisit ravnica three times will...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (September 11, 2018.) "In your guild to order article you said the five...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (September 11, 2018.) "So are there only 5 planeswalkers in guilds...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- ↑ Gavin Verhey. (November 1, 2018.) "Building the Guild Kits", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (May 18, 2018.) "Will the reprints in the ravnica guild kits be...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- ↑ Blake Rasmussen. (January 10, 2019.) "Ravnica Allegiance Mythic Edition", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Blake Rasmussen. (September 4, 2018 .) "Guilds of Ravnica Packaging, Promos, and More", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Magic: The Gathering Twitter