Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
Guilds of Ravnica/Mythic Edition
|Guilds of Ravnica|
|Symbol description||Planeswalker symbol in front of a shield|
|Release date||October 3, 2018|
|Set size||24 Guilds of Ravnica booster including the 8 Masterpieces|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Guilds of Ravnica Mythic Edition is a special Guilds of Ravnica draft-sized booster box, exclusively sold in the U.S and Canada. This experimental product was sporadiacally available on the Hasbro webshop only, on October 3 for $249.99.
Description[edit | edit source]
The Mythic Edition includes 24 Guilds of Ravnica boosters. Eight of these booster are clearly marked as "Masterpiece Boosters" and contain one of eight foil Masterpieces in addition to their normal rare/mythic rare card.
Each unit contains all 8 Masterpiece cards:
- Elspeth, Knight-Errant
- Liliana, the Last Hope
- Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
- Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
- Ral, Izzet Viceroy
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
- Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
- Vraska, Golgari Queen
The Masterpieces have their own own expansion code (MED), which is identical to the code for Masters Edition. They also have their own expansion symbol, featuring the planeswalker symbol on a mythic-colored background.
Tokens and emblems[edit | edit source]
- 1/1 Soldier creature, with Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas.
- 2/2 Zombie creature, with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker.
- 1/1 Construct with defender, for Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast.
- Emblem for Elspeth, Knight-Errant
- Emblem for Liliana, the Last Hope.
- Emblem for Ral, Izzet Viceroy.
- Emblem for Teferi, Hero of Dominaria.
- Emblem for Vraska, Golgari Queen.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Wizards of the Coast received overwhelmingly negative feedback from the player base about the price, the near-total breakdown of the Hasbro site on sale date, the late launch of the product, a message on the Hasbro site saying that the sale had been pushed back to October 4th, being charged multiple times, receiving order confirmations which were then cancelled/rescinded and lack of international shipping. Before the controversy began, their response was that it was an experiment and that they would let the sales speak for themselves. They supplied a limited amount of this product to ChannelFireball Events for sale at Grand Prix. but as soon as the issues with the Hasbro site were apparent, all available product for US GP events sold out immediately.
A month after the release, Wizards of the Coast sent out an apology letter.
References[edit | edit source]
- Printed on the card frame.
- Magic: The Gathering Twitter
- Blake Rasmussen. (September 4, 2018 .) “Guilds of Ravnica Packaging, Promos, and More”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic: The Gathering Twitter
- GRN: Mythic Edition Unsealing: Masterpieces/tokens/emblems spoilers
- Mark Rosewater. (September 05, 2018.) "Are you just going to ignore the massive, negative feedback that the Planeswalker Masterpieces are receiving?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (September 06, 2018.) "Isn’t it a little disingenuous to say that the test of whether people want things like the Masterpiece Planeswalker set is if it sells?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast. (September 21, 2018.) “Experimentation”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.